Question
CD/DVD ROM drive disapeared Pavillion dv9000
Replies (37)

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 11 of 38 (23,319 Views)

Re: CD/DVD ROM drive disapeared Pavillion dv9000

Steve,

Read thru this post and the associated tips.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
Steve69
Message 12 of 38 (23,247 Views)

This is Wierd!  After trying every fix imaginable that I could find and with no success, my HP pavillion dv9910us still would not recognize the cdrom drive in the device manager listings or in the computer drives.  I finally took my computer to "the Geek Squad" at our local Best Buy.  They determined the cdrom drive was not operating (BIOS was not loading the cdrom.sys driver) and I would need a new internal or buy an external cdrom drive.  So I purchased the HP dvd565s external drive while there which is Lightscribe compatible since Lightscribe came with the dv9910us computer.  After loading the Nero software, got the new drive recognized and working.  After a few hours of using the new drive, I decided to disconnect the drive (usb connector) for overnight and went into device manager prior to disconnecting and found 2 cdrom devices (the original and new external).  Also computer recognized both drives.  Disconnected the external drive and found the internal cdrom still there and operating.  In the morning used the internal drive to copy a bunch of CD's into itunes which worked great.

Here's the crazy part; I wanted to download some photos from my Kodak digital camera (Kodak Easy Share software).  Once I did that, the internal cdrom disappeared again from the device manager and computer (WHAT!! where did it go?).   I wanted to copy the downloaded photos to a cdrom.  So now I reconnected the new HP external cdrom drive to download the photos to a cd.  When I was done, I noticed I now had 2 cdrom drives in device manager and recognized by the computer.  I then disconnected the external cdrom drive and the computer still recognizes the internal drive which is operating again.  Obviously connecting an external drive is doing something to make the computer recognize the intenal drive or the Kodak software is messing things up.  Seems like I had to buy a new HP external drive to make it recognize the internal drive.  Very Strange!!   

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 13 of 38 (23,242 Views)

Steve,

I would say that is a strange one. It's probably the Kodak software. You might look for an update if available or try reinstalling the software.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
MojaveMike
Message 14 of 38 (21,631 Views)

Wrong!  Not the Kodak software.  Guess again?  "Oh you might try reformatting the disk drive and reinstalling Windows."  Of course, you can probably fix it that way too.  I get sick of so-called experts putting their two cents in and essentially closing the thread as "solved".  It's worse than if they didn't even post because the thread won't be contemplated for assistance afterwards.  So many experts and sites have such great records of solved cases because of this.  That's their conflict of interest that renders so many of these support boards useles.

Top Student
harrylooker
Message 15 of 38 (20,994 Views)

... having the same problem with my two and a half year old dv9920us... device manager shows drive is installed.... tried all the tricks mentioned everywhere and then bought and installed a new dvd drive and still have the problem... so now I am out additional money... my concern is not being able to recover the harddrive if something else happens requiring recovery and thus being without a computer.... so... I bought a new one figuring it would cost me at a least half as much to send this one in for repair... a laptop should go at least three years of moderate use without hardware failure... wouldn't you think... my old Toshiba went almost six years before the harddrive failed... eighty bucks and I was back in business for another two and with it still working fine I decided it was time to update and bought this HP which has been a huge disappointment... there are also other annoying problems with this laptop that I posted previously and received no help...

Student
olagasegaram
Message 16 of 38 (19,297 Views)

dananddanielle2 wrote:

Can someone guide me through please!

After a few years my DVD/CD rom isn't functioning when I put a dvd or cd in the tray. There is no driver recognized. I have read the forum and and tried a few things but I can't seem to get started.

Do I need to re-install it? How do I get it running again??

Please help!

Dan

dananddanielle2 wrote:

After a few years my DVD/CD rom isn't functioning when I put a dvd or cd in the tray. There is no driver recognized. I have read the forum and and tried a few things but I can't seem to get started.

Do I need to re-install it? How do I get it running again??

Please help!

Dan

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 17 of 38 (19,294 Views)

olagasegaram wrote:

dananddanielle2 wrote:

After a few years my DVD/CD rom isn't functioning when I put a dvd or cd in the tray. There is no driver recognized. I have read the forum and and tried a few things but I can't seem to get started. Do I need to re-install it? How do I get it running again?? Please help! Dan

Hello olagasegaram, You might try going to this Microsoft  Link and click on thr Fix  It Tab and see if this resolves the issue.

Sometimes it does and may be worth a try.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Student
akika666
Message 18 of 38 (18,743 Views)

[ Edited ]

I can attest this is a really serious problem. I have an HP Pavilion dv9500 which shipped with Vista, upon which I recently performed a clean install of Windows 7. The first time I rebooted, it recognized the DvD/CD drive, as I was trying to see if my lightscribe would work again. It worked in that it checked the lightscribe disc and pronounced it NOT a lightscribe disc and spit it out. that was normal (for this computer, lately). I've done nothing else but download Chrome and Gimp, and a million Windows updates. Then after the third reboot or so, I wanted to make recovery discs but found that the computer no longer recognized that it has a CD/DVD drive. I did the usual:

1. Reboot. nothing

2. Reboot again, nothing,

3. Check device manager - it's not there. As a CD/DVD drive anyway, by process of elimination, it think there are listings that are related to the drive, and ones i never saw before. "IDE ADA/ATAPI Controllers" and under "systerm devices there are 3 or 4 "base system devices" 

4. tried uninstalling all the IDE ADA/ATAPI Controller and Base System Devices, Rebooted, and scan for hardware changes. It faithfully reinstalled the same ones I'd just uninstalled.

5. Checked in BIOS - it's not there.

6. Googled my keys off - used "Mr. Fixit" and another program called "xp-cd-dvd fix".... reboot, reboot reboot, nothing changed. 

7. Came to this page this morning and checked out registry keys as in a solution described in an above post. That registry subkey has everything you described except the "filters." 

This is going on several days of troubleshooting and problemsolving. I think I finally need to ask for help. This is my first posting here and I hope I've explained myself correctly. What do you think is going here? What should my next step be? I'd be so appreciative of any help you can give me! Thanks!

Honor Student
MojaveMike
Message 19 of 38 (18,191 Views)

I don't know how MajidSA can be listed as an honor student. Asking a user to swap HDD and DVD cables in a laptop is something that anyone who's ever worked on a computer knows is impossible. Way to go MajidSA!! More Kudos for you!!!!!
Honor Student
Jmburactaon
Message 20 of 38 (17,400 Views)

Gents

If all of the other suggested sites and links fail like they did for me try this.

It is a windows 7 issue not a hardware or HP issue like some would think. Download this .iso file from mircosoft.com

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=11800

after you download the file open it with either roxio, deamontools lite or some other program that can make and run an image drive. if you do not know how to make an image drive look up "how to create an image drive" in google. I suggest using deamontools lite, it is free.

After that is done, open the downloaded file and check all. The file will then install an entire driver suite for windows 7.

restart you computer.

Then go to you "device manager" by going to the start menu and right clicking on the "my computer", then click manage. The find the cd/disk drives and expand it, note you should see the image drive that you created. Highlight the image drive and right click, click "scan for new hardware". In a second or two you will see your drive again.

I hope this helps you all out.

Juan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation