CD/DVD RW Drive Does Not Recognize DVDs (12252 Views)
Intern
AlResnick
Message 1 of 8 (12,252 Views)

CD/DVD RW Drive Does Not Recognize DVDs

I have a Hitachi HL-D-ST DVDRRWGSA-H30L drive in HP desktop.

It suddenly does not recognize DVDs either to read or write; I used it about a week ago and it was fine

Any ideas?

Intern
AlResnick
Message 2 of 8 (12,151 Views)

Re: CD/DVD RW Drive Does Not Recognize DVDs

An update to this challenge.   Got a portable CD/DVD writer drive; it would not work at all, but when I hooked it up to a notebook, it was good to go.

Well, I went to play a video that is on the hard drive, using Windows Media Player and when I shut down the media player, the sound of the video continued.  When I tried iTunes, it gave me a warning about something on CODECs had changed and iTunes could not burn or read CD/DVDs; I tried a repair re-install, but still no luck

Anybody got any ideas?

Honor Student
Swanjet
Message 3 of 8 (11,985 Views)

I have a dv2715 laptop with a MAT**bleep**A DVD-RAM UJ-H861H ATA Device. It doesn't recognize any blank dvd+/-r. dvd-rw, nor read any dvd with information already saved to it but recognize cd-rw and will play dvd movies. It also recognizes all cd formats both blank and saved info. I have done a system restore and it did recognize a dvd immediately after, but not anymore. I also have downloaded, uninstalled and installed drivers still with no success and I have autoplay on.

What is the problem and how can I resolve?

Honor Student
thegreekninja
Message 4 of 8 (11,620 Views)

I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook, and am having the same problem. My DVD rom is listed as a CD rom and I can't get it to be detected as a DVD rom. I've uninstalled the hardware, the driver... but nothing worked. Could this be a Windows 7 problem?

Student
sailboat1
Message 5 of 8 (11,516 Views)

Same problem . My HP CD/DVD driver suddenly stopped recognising blank disks and asks for one to be inserted. In all fairness same happened at the same time to my other CD drive , a Microsoft product.

In case anuyone from Hewlett Packard ever looks at this forum I'll describe my most unpleasant experience trying to get help from their telephone contact service. The chap who answered spoke fast in a language vaguely resembling English, was obviously not a technician, running off the phone after every sentence for advice from someone else, keeping me  hanging on for several minutes at a time. After twenty minutes of such counselling the line went dead.

He said nothing beyond more very elementary and often repeated questions. No one contacted me after that even though I gave him my phone number 3 times. 

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 6 of 8 (11,483 Views)

I see no one has offered any advice to posters on this problem, so I will offer this up and see if it solves anyone's problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529  Scroll down to view solutions that may apply.  Come back if none of the solutions solved your problem.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Student
fannontina
Message 7 of 8 (6,613 Views)

Me too same thing now its been 5 months still cant fliping do anything with making a cd or even able to read any cd starting to make me mmad

Honor Student
grahameB
Message 8 of 8 (436 Views)

New computer, Win 8.1 Dvd RW drive will install setup disc. Will not play My  Dvd of family videos

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation