Question

Top Student
flowerchild
Message 1 of 9 (9,747 Views)

CD/DVD drive is no longer working on my HP Pavilion Slimline s3720y desktop

Hi!  I am having problems with my HP desktop computer and wonder if  someone can help me solve this issue.

My CD/DVD drive is no longer working on my HP Pavilion Slimline s3720y desktop. When I tried to test my CD/DVD drive  to ensure it it was working properly , When I clicked to open Hardware Diagnostic Tools and it said "The software program is not found".  The CD/DVD drive was working but will not respond or recognize that a disk is in the drive.  It states insert disk in drive.  Where are my diagnostic tools that are missing?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 9 (9,746 Views)

Re: CD/DVD drive is no longer working on my HP Pavilion Slimline s3720y desktop

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Look under the Start button ----> Programs for a folder labeled PC Help & Tools.  You should find a program called Hardware Diagnostic Tools. 

If the above doesn't work then you will have to use the HP Recvovery Manager to just install the diagnostic tools program. You'll find the Recovery Manager under the Start button ---> Programs.

Look at this post for additional tips dealing with CD/DVD drive issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
flowerchild
Message 3 of 9 (9,740 Views)

Look under the Start button ----> Programs for a folder labeled PC Help & Tools.  You should find a program called Hardware Diagnostic Tools

I looked under where you told me and I have no Hardware Diagnostic Tools. I put it thru search and it said there was no HP  Diagnostics Tools in my computer.  I then went to HP Recovery Manager to install the diagnostic tools program amd when I was asked to uninstall the program  listed in Programs and Features there could be nothing found there.listed as Hardware Diagnostic Tools.  So I could not complete the recovery as there was nothing to uninstall.  Where did it go to begin with.   Was it uninstalled or just never there to begin with.   Microsoft has been recently helping me with a start up issue and was in there deleting a program called Net 4 Version.

Top Student
flowerchild
Message 4 of 9 (9,726 Views)

I ran hardware diagnostic tools and it asked me to put in a media disc but my CD/DVD drive is not seeing that a disc in in it so cannot run diagnostic on it.  It had alerts two being microsoft 6to4 Adapter #18" and #40".  A recommended Tip: create Bootable Hardware DIagnostic CD and a recommended Tip:scheduled maintenance.   Not sure what these are and if they pertain to my problem.

When I went into device manager and right clicked the properties of the CD/DVD Drive it said working.  When I right clicked it in My computers it said it was working.  So if it is working why doesn't my cds work in it and why does it still ask for a Cd to be put in drive when one is already there...sighssss.?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 5 of 9 (9,717 Views)

Hi,

Look in the Control Panel ---> Programs and Features for a entry labeled Hardware Diagnostic Tools.  If you see the entry then uninstall it and then go back to the Recovery Manager and re-install it.  If your CD/DVD drive is bad then trying to create a bootable CD media is a moot point.

Download Imgburn  (it's a freebie) and see if it can correctly access your CD/DVD drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Top Student
flowerchild
Message 6 of 9 (9,696 Views)

Hi

I downloaded the Hardware Diagnostic tooI and ran a  test on my computer system.  It says everything passed except when asked to put in a Data Cd, it said there was nothing in the CDROM and would I put in a Data Cd.  My computer says that the CDROM is working fine but it just does not see the CD in it.   Tried to update the driver i(located in device manager )but it is current it says.  I do not know what to do.  I do not want to do anything in DOS so hopefully there is another way to fix this.    What happened that it no longer sees the CD...it was working fine last week.

Also during the test it said ALERTs: Microsoft 6to4 Adapter#18 and #48 have a driver problem (code 31)  I tried to click on recovery in the drop down option but that did not work as the driver didnt seem to be there.  My other option was to install driver but I didnt know what to look for on the list so did nothing.  I do no know that much about computers but recently have been getting a crash course because of the problems.   The other thing is that I ran across a disc that I made called Seagate Sata Hardrive Firmware Update.  Sp40966 File# 4.1.100.1332.   Not sure when I made this or what this is...I do not remember...I just put it away with my manuals.  Does anyone know what this is?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 7 of 9 (9,684 Views)

Hi,

Your Seagate update CD is to update the firmware for Seagate hard drives.

Did you try the tips in the post that I referenced above?

Error 31 indicates that the driver is not installing correctly.

Go to Device Manager, locate the CD/DVD drive, open up the CD/DVD drive, double click, click on the Driver tab, then uninstall the driver. Now reboot your PC and Windows will re-install the driver.

CD-DVD Troubleshoooting.jpg

Top Student
flowerchild
Message 8 of 9 (9,672 Views)

hi

I downloaded the Hardware Diagnostic tool and I went to the device manager and right clicked and selected properites and opened it and under general and it only listed the CD/DCDROM but there was nothing there for troubleshooting at all.

I uninstalled the driver and rebooted and still the CD/DVDROM is not working even though a box came up saying it was sucessfully installed.   When I put it thru the diagnostic test it said everything passed but it did not seem to see the cd even though it was inside it as it kept asking me to put in a Data CD.   

r_c Student
Student
r_c
Message 9 of 9 (7,094 Views)

This thing hasnt worked in years and was rarely used at all. It just stopped working. I have tried everything.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation