Question

Student
dangray
Message 1 of 14 (8,575 Views)

CD/DVD drive keeps on opening and closing automatically.

Hi, I just got my computer today and hooked it up.  The first time I hit the 'power' button after having everything hooked up, the CD/DVD drive started making this clunking noise and then procceded to open and close, open and close numerous times.  Since it was the first time I had turned on my PC, I let it go until I had Windows set up and etc.  After I had Windows set up, I restarted my computer and it did the same thing.  It would make the clunking noise and on my screen there would be a blinking _ until I came to the login screen. 

Anyone else have this problem with their BRAND NEW, first time turning it on, PC?

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 14 (8,564 Views)

Re: CD/DVD drive keeps on opening and closing automatically.

One of two things (I think):

1) Your PC has a plastic door that is part of the case that is in from of the drive drawer (and eject) button. The clearance between the case door and the eject button is too small. This might be something as simple as someone not fully snapping in part of the front bezel plastic (the front of the case). In order to know, people in the forum need your model number.

2) The eject wire that runs from the back of the drive to the motherboard is connected to the wrong pins on the motherboard. Again, need your model number to see if that is the case and to show you which pins to connect.. if you want to open it up.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Student
Zoobar96
Message 3 of 14 (8,437 Views)

I just got my computer yesterday and believe I am experiencing the exact same problem.  The initial description is identical to mine.  HELP!  I have a HP Pavilion Elite 300z.  CAN ANYONE HELP????

Honor Student
Iam-Sapphire
Message 4 of 14 (8,349 Views)

I have the same problem.. just bought the HP Pavilion p6510f from Best Buy and as soon as I turn it on... the door opens... then closes... makes a couple of "sounds" then re-opens and then closes again... after windows starts it stays open..

If I close it... it makes 2 sounds inside, then pops back open...

After about 10 minutes, it tries to close on it's own.. makes 2 sounds inside.. then opens right back up

WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 5 of 14 (8,347 Views)

I would return the PC for another that works properly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
Iam-Sapphire
Message 6 of 14 (8,347 Views)

Well it just keeps getting better... the other HP, I bought does the same thing!!!! both the same model... but I bought 2, one for home and one for work..

I decided to setup the one for work at home... so I took it out of the box just now... fired it all up and lo and behold... the CD DOOR just popped open... then closed... then opened... then closed.. then finally stayed open.

I look at the post, that said maybe the "plastic front bezel" thingy was pushing against the button.. but it is not.

I removed the side panel.. then in the front, i pulled back on the 3 tabs that hold the front bezel on, and removed the bezel, then started the computer, and tada.... the door STILL OPENS AND CLOSES...

And when the door closes... the "sound" it makes, and by looking at the drive.. is like, it goes in, then makes a sound as the CD DOOR tries to come out a little bit... then goes back in, like 1/8th of an inch... then opens completely..

WEIRD...

An obivious problem with HP's choice of CD rom drive....

Anyone else???????

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 7 of 14 (8,346 Views)

You might try contacting HP Support for some ideas since your PC is under warranty.  You have 21 days to return it.

HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT or online here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Student
drew010
Message 8 of 14 (8,228 Views)

Just hooked up a brand new Pavilion p6500 series machine from Best Buy and had the same issue.

Called HP, they had me check the sata cable and power cable, all was good.  Had me try holding the drive shut while powering on and off which also didn't help.  I suspect maybe a firmware update would help but they opted to send a replacement DVD drive out so I didn't bother looking.

They didn't seem to think it was common or didn't want to admit to it anyway.

Honor Student
KCGolf63
Message 9 of 14 (8,206 Views)

interesting posts here about CD/DVD opening and closing automatically, seems that this not fix for the problem from anyone.  I just purchased a p6510y with the same problem described here.   I guess its time to call HP.   Perhaps, I should have stayed with my previous vendor of choice for desktops.  Thought I heard good things about HP, so give them a try on this attempt.  1-800- calling HP

Honor Student
KCGolf63
Message 10 of 14 (8,204 Views)

so, the easy way for me was to open a chat window with HP and describe my problem.  They had me uninstall/install device through device manager then determined it was a hardware problem and will be shipping me a replacement.  Good luck to you others with the same problem.   Just plugged my unit in tonight; replacing the CD/DVD in 2-3 business days.  Later

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation