Question

Tutor
journeyoflife
Message 1 of 4 (2,162 Views)

Changing Region of DVD Player

Hi. Does anyone know if by changing my DVD region from 2 to 0 will it allow me to play any 1-6 region DVDs?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 4 (2,145 Views)

Re: Changing Region of DVD Player

[ Edited ]

Depending on the DVD drive, it may not be possible to change it to region 0.  Usually making a DVD drive region-free, as it is called, requires much more effort than that.  Bear in mind that there is a limit on how many times the region can be changed, also.  Five is the limit.  If you still what to make it region-free, try Google for how.  Here is an excerpt from a webpage in the discussion.  "New DVD-ROM drives come with a firmware level RPC-2 with hardware protection. RPC 2 drives have a 5 change limit on regions, once the counter gets to 0 your drive is permanently locked to the last region it was set to. Even if you reformat or move the drive to another system it will still be locked to the last region."

BTW:  since the post was made in a PC forum, I assume the drive in question is in a computer.  Stand alone players might have a "magic code" to make them region-free but that may be complicated by the difference between NTSC and PAL format DVD's.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 3 of 4 (2,112 Views)

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

This is a great tool to solve your problem. I use it all the time to watch region "B" Blu-rays here in Canada.

There is also a version just for DVD/CD.

The down-side is that it's not free. I bought mine out-right as a one time payment.  :smileyhappy:

Tutor
journeyoflife
Message 4 of 4 (2,061 Views)

Thanks for you help. I finally downloaded VLC Player which allows me to watch any region DVDs on my laptop.

Cheers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation