Question

Student
T_W_Zimmerman
Message 1 of 62 (111,576 Views)
Accepted Solution

Computer does not recognize CD/DVD drive

For the past few days, my computer has not recognized the CD/DVD drive.  I have tried everything - registry editors, checking the physical connections inside the computer, system restores, and installing Fix-It programs.  Still, the computer does not recognize that drive.  I am also wondering if this is a hardware issue.  The light on the drive is a constant solid green, and the open button doesn't work.  And when I use the bent-paper-clip-in-the-little-hole and can open the drive, it does not read the disc.  Please advise ...
Top Student
ricojacques
Message 2 of 62 (111,544 Views)

Re: Computer does not recognize CD/DVD drive

I have the same problem, except I the light on the drive is not on and I can't eject the CD/DVD tray.  However, no CDs/DVDs that I place in the drive are recognized, they do spin up, and my burning software does not list the drive as a selection for burning media.  I help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 3 of 62 (111,490 Views)

I believe your drive was messed up because of a faulty firmware. Roughly a year ago HP had this problem with particular drives and a new firmware which cause them to be rendered useless. Light would be on all the time, etc.

Either that or just the drive no longer works.

Either way, i strongly believe it's a hardware issue and the drive needs to be replaced.

If still in warranty HP can replace it at no charge if not I would just buy one from newegg.com

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 4 of 62 (111,425 Views)

Try these links

What do I do if my CD/DVD disc drive disappears upgrading to Windows 7?
Restart your computer at least once after you upgrade. If the drives are still missing, see CD/DVD Drive is not Detected in Windows 7 .
Top Student
ricojacques
Message 5 of 62 (111,406 Views)

Thanks for all the responses.  I believe I have gone through the normal troubleshooting steps and will have to replace the drive.  Unfortunately, everything I have read indicates that HP does not do a very good job of selecting a optical drive vendor, because this is a VERY common problem with there laptops.
Honor Student
bearysweeetlady
Message 6 of 62 (110,843 Views)

I have been working to resolve my issue with the CD-DVD drive not working properly on my computer for almost 3 weeks. I'm very disappointed and frustrated that HP does not have a solution via an update, patch, or something. Heck, my computer isn't even showing I have a CD-DVD drive any where on my computer. This will be the last HP computer I will ever purchase.
ye Honor Student
Honor Student
ye
Message 7 of 62 (109,347 Views)

I have had simialr problems for over 1 year now and even though I ourcahsed extended warranty (my laptop is 2 years old) I was given the run around by HP and still no solution.  I too plan not to purchase anymore from HP

Student
wayne1940
Message 8 of 62 (107,341 Views)

[ Edited ]

Good luck, I have the same problem.  I even thought maybe the drive died coincidently and purchased a new one.  Unfortunately, that was a total waste of money as I now have two (2) drives that do exactly the same thing.

My drive shows up under My Computer as the proper drive.

When a CD or DVD is inserted the led just blinks and the disk spins.

The drive cannot be opened by pushing the button.  It can be opened by using a paper clip and releasing the clip.

The laptop is an HP Pavilion dv9000 and the OS is windows 7 32 bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Honor Student
matt24
Message 9 of 62 (107,067 Views)

My HP Touchsmart does not recognize a CD/DVD inserted into the drive about 90% of the time. I keep reinserting it over and over then, sometimes, it will magically start working. The problem has gotten progressively worse since I bought the PC almost two years ago. I have attempted every "fix" and spent too many hours on these sites and nothing has worked. I should have attempted to resolve this while the PC was still under warranty. This seems like a very common problem and HP should own up to it and provide it's customers a solution.

Honor Student
HP47589
Message 10 of 62 (104,193 Views)

It sometimes works, uninstall the drive, open the device manager find the drive you are having the problem with right click and uninstall it. Restart the computer and it will reinstall the drive check to see if it cured the prob. No then try HPs drive update or google your drive and see if an update it there for it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation