Message 22 of 62 (15,088 Views)

Re: Computer does not recognize CD/DVD drive

cd drive doest nao read the cd when disk iserted in the drive

Honor Student
MKD_EMPIRE
Message 23 of 62 (14,575 Views)

Hi.

The last few days im haveing prob. with the optical drive. I have HP dv 9700.  In "my comp" i  can read the two partitions C and D but not the CD\DVD drive. I also opened the device manager and i didnt find the CD/DVD drive.

Than i entered BIOS there is an option to boot from CD/DVD... but still nothing. The real problem is that i replaced the optical drive with few other THAT WORKS on another comp but its not working on mine.

When i start the comp or when i put a CD inside i hear it like it works but thats all , just for few seconds...

After that i tried to boot the comp useing external CD/DVD drive. I entered BIOS to change the options, to boot from usb .. still it doesnt want to load win files. What im trying to say is that i have no chance to reinstal my comp and i dont know if its the optical drive that needs replacement or is something on the motherboard...something is not working properly...some part where the optical drive is connecting with the motherboard.... Please help

P.S im sorry for my english im not from US

Honor Student
litrel
Message 24 of 62 (14,508 Views)

I also have an HP pavillion, never again, my cd/dvd is not anywhere to be found.  A disk will spin and a light is on, opens and closes but that is all.  It is not recognized at all. 

I have 3 "unknown system devices" that are in the device Manager but I have uninstalled them and I get the same thing. 

I have Windows 7 32-bit OS. 

Student
Sarahtralala
Message 25 of 62 (14,212 Views)

I have an HP Pavilion dv6700, and my cd/dvd disc drive won't work at all. The green light is off now (even though it worked earlier today, but I think it is completely dead now.) I don't hear it working. The drive doesn't even open when the button is pressed, I have to open it with a paper clip. I have already shut off power and restarted on my computer and tried microsoft to fix it, but nothing seems to be working. The bad part is, I can call myself a "computer geek" and nothing seems to be working. The drive doesn't even appear on my computer. When I tried microsoft automatic fix, it told me that the drive was missing or disconnected. I then tried manual fix and that didn't have a response either. My laptop is not new, but I don't think this should be happening (I have taken quite good care of it.) Plus, today is christmas, and I want to put my new CD in my laptop. HP needs to come out with a resolution to this, now that I have searched all over the internet and know, fairly common problem. No one likes dead disc drives, and this has lead to a very unsatisfied customer who will no longer be purchasing HP laptops. I have no idea what to do now, as I am a poor high school student and I wanted to buy a new laptop when I was a little closer to college.

Has anyone found a resolution to a completely unresponsive drive?

Student
DCBB
Message 26 of 62 (14,067 Views)

Hi,

My dvd/cd drive won't recgonize my cd when I put it in.  Any clue what this might be? 

Thanks

Honor Student
pittsville
Message 27 of 62 (14,039 Views)

I don't have a media extender.  The problem is with the CDROM/DVD drive anyway, not a media extender.

Honor Student
pittsville
Message 28 of 62 (14,037 Views)

I know how you feel. My son is just starting college and needs a laptop. He was looking at an HP but I don't think he should take that risk from what I've seen here. I had a fairly new HP all-in-one printer that had a worldwide common problem like this. I found the same model in the dump. It looked like new. I brought it home and it worked for a good while but eventually developed the same problem. Seems that HP has a lot of problems that just can't be fixed by any means.
Intern
quiller
Message 29 of 62 (13,953 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same problem here.  I have a Pavilion e9260f about 3 years old.  Been all thru the troubleshooting and BIOS checks.  The CD/DVD drive is not seen by the computer.  Thought I could swap in an old one from my XP computer but nogo, tech is too old.  The only thing left is replace it for $67.13 plus tax and shipping.  These things don't last forever and at least with a PC, they are relatively easy to fix and inexpensive.  Some folks have said "aint ever gonna buy HP again".  Well, good luck with that.  Stuff breaks.  My HP has run flawless up until now and I just need to fix.  Someone said he's going to Mac.  And again good luck with that.  My step daughter had a MacBook Pro bought with the 2 year extended warranty.  It died at 38 months.  There went $2400 down the drain because you just don't fix Macs cheaply.  HP isn't a bad product and I'm not an employee or an avid fan.  It's a PC, it works, it was less than $900 new, and I'm totally happy with it.  

Same day, 4 hours later:  OK, spoke too soon because I refused to give up.  I tried the Lower and Upper Register REGEDIT fix.  Didn't have a lower, but I did have an upper.  Deleted it, restarted, and golly gee whilikers, there that gosh darn DVD/CD drive.  Burned an audio disk and it worked. I didn't try the REGEDIT fix before because it didn't exactly fit my problem.  So, I suggest when all else fails, try the REGEDIT fix.  Where is that?  Look at the very first posting and you'll find it on the first page.:smileyhappy:  Now I gotta cancel my order.

So why did this happen?  My PC is original.  I think a MS W7 update hosed it.  Maybe there was a CCleaner problem.  Don't know.  I hope my comments will help some of you.

Honor Student
MikeKellen
Message 30 of 62 (13,840 Views)

This is the second time this has happened. I have not used my CD/DVD Drive for a .long long time.

The last time I spoke to a technician he gave me a fix but it was only a temporary fix

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation