Question

Honor Student
boyamilucky
Message 1 of 5 (6,903 Views)

DVD Drive Firmware Update Needed

HP Desktop Model - P6210F

Desktop Product # - NY544AA#ABA

Drive - ATAPI DVD A DH16AAL (firmware version LHD3 dated 2009/04/30)

I am having trouble with Kodak DVD+R DL discs failing during the write process at the start of writing the second layer. Kodak makes high-quality media and a "bad batch" is highly unlikely. The Kodak tech dept said I needed to update my drive's firmware and I agree. After MANY hours of searcking the web for an updated firmware version for this drive, I have come up with NOTHING!

The closest answer I found was a suggestion to crossflash it to a Liteon IHAS424 A. Then I could update the firmware. Supposedly this drive's hardware is identical to the Liteon drive, it's just the programming that is different. I am not comfortable with doing this, and I shouldn't have to.

Where can I get a newer firmware version for this HP DH-16AAL drive?

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 5 (6,892 Views)

Re: DVD Drive Firmware Update Needed

[ Edited ]

boyamilucky wrote: HP Desktop Model - P6210F  Desktop Product # - NY544AA#ABA  Drive - ATAPI DVD A DH16AAL (firmware version LHD3 dated 2009/04/30) I am having trouble with Kodak DVD+R DL discs failing during the write process at the start of writing the second layer. Kodak makes high-quality media and a "bad batch" is highly unlikely. The Kodak tech dept said I needed to update my drive's firmware and I agree. After MANY hours of searcking the web for an updated firmware version for this drive, I have come up with NOTHING! The closest answer I found was a suggestion to crossflash it to a Liteon IHAS424 A. Then I could update the firmware. Supposedly this drive's hardware is identical to the Liteon drive, it's just the programming that is different. I am not comfortable with doing this, and I shouldn't have to. Where can I get a newer firmware version for this HP DH-16AAL drive?

Hello boyamilucky, Here  is the link for the specifications for your system. It shows your CD\DVD drive does support DVD+/-DL drives at 12x speeds.

There appears to be no firmware updates from HP for this optical drive.

It is not recommended to flash one device with another device flash code, even though they may be produced by the same manufacturer, as in Liteon. HP may have specified to Liteon that certain code be included or omitted in the firmware and another firmware code may render the HP optical drive inoperable.

It is also recommended by Microsoft that you burn CDs or DVDs at the lowest possible speed to insure a proper burn.

Just some thoughts.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 3 of 5 (6,882 Views)

[ Edited ]

HI,

Try a better high quality media like Verbatim.  Download and give Imgburn a go at burning media. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
boyamilucky
Message 4 of 5 (6,815 Views)

Thanks for your input.

First: I would appreciate if HP would post what the latest firmware version is (for all their drives/hardware).

Second: I agree that it is not a good idea to flash it to another device.

Third: It should NOT be necessary to reduce the burn speed to get the discs to burn successfully at the disc's rated speed.

Fourth: There needs to be a drive/media compatibility chart. Drive manufacturers and media manufacturers should list which drives (and firmware versions) work with which media at which speeds.

Fifth: Most burns that become coasters are not an issue of media quality, but media/drive compatibility. Kodak, Memorex, Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden and many others are all good quality media.

(My drive works great with Memorex DVD+R DL 8X but not Kodak DVD+R DL 8X. Other drives work great with Kodak DVD+R DL 8X but not Memorex DVD+R DL 8X).

Wouldn't it be nice to know which media works on which drive?

Student
DenysChapin
Message 5 of 5 (5,103 Views)

You wrote: Third: It should NOT be necessary to reduce the burn speed to get the discs to burn successfully at the disc's rated speed. 

Reply:  Do you have any reason why it should not be necessary other than that it should not be?  I have read of this tip on other websites, and there might be an explanation for this somewhere.

You wrote:Fifth: Most burns that become coasters are not an issue of media quality, but media/drive compatibility. Kodak, Memorex, Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden and many others are all good quality media. 

Reply: Compatibily is not an issue for bad burns beyond following the basic rules .  However, media quality is a large issue, and the compatibity issues just have to do with matching the DVD media format e.g.  DVD +R, DVD+R DL etc. with the drive's capability, and maybe updating the drive's firmware (drive's firmware resource, http://www.supermediastore.com/article/u/beginner-in-dvd-corner).  Your list of good media is not accurate, though some are good.  Kodak and Memorex are not good, and Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are good.  Furthermore, the brand is almost useless information and to really know what you have requires checking out the media ID (http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm).  So trying to figure out what media works with what drive is the wrong path to try to follow.   Sources: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm, and http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-reviews.com/best-blank-dvd-media.asp.  A good article on identifing exactly what type of DVD media you have is:http://www.ehow.com/how_5848502_identify-dvd-manufacturer.html. For good notes on what can go wrong with manufacturing blank media see http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-reviews.com/best-blank-dvd-media.asp.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation