DVD RW Drive can't read DVD Disk (2956 Views)
Student
arthureuz
Message 1 of 5 (2,956 Views)

DVD RW Drive can't read DVD Disk

when i bought this hp pavillion with vista OS in singapore it can read and write in both cd and dvd disk.  I  have it repaired under warranty last year  at hp singapore due to some hardware problem. Ever since it was repaired i didnt  find any reason to used my cd/dvd drive. Now that i m having trouble with my pc and need to recover using recovery disk  because recovery partition is not working properly or may also be corrupted. The OS Recovery Disk given to me when i purchase this hp pavilion was in dvd disk . My pc dvd/cd drive now only read cd disk. Checking on My Computer , the drive E is labeled DVD RW Drive. How come it cant read my dvd disk. Further checking on this drive under my Device Manager  my CD/DVD ROM Drive is HL-DT-ST  DVDRAM GSA-4084N ATA Device. Tried updating this device but it still doesnt work. Don't really know what do to  right now, I need to format my hard disk and install my OS from Recovery Disk which is in DVD. I hope that their someone out there that can help me solve this problem

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 5 (2,947 Views)

Re: DVD RW Drive can't read DVD Disk

Hi,

Have you tried inserting the Recovery DVD and restarting the PC to see if it does boot from the DVD?  Just because DVDs aren't recognised in Windows doesn't necessarily mean the PC won't boot from it.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
erico
Message 3 of 5 (2,946 Views)

Hi,

You left out the all important laptop model number/ product name information. That really helps us help you.

Look at the tag on the bottom of notebook for Model Number (shown in area below the bar codes)
use the following URL:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00033108&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_u...

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
helpse
Message 4 of 5 (2,378 Views)

hello. Im using this HP pavilion dv6707us, with windows 7 SO. i've been using this notebook for like 2 years, and just now i realized that it doesnt read some DVD's. It came with HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N ATA Device.

And i found this, in another topic inside this forum:

"I did a chat session with the HP Support folks, but the final answer came down to the fact that HP drives will not read Memorex or Verbatim discs.  Or any disc that is of an undefined, particular thickness.  This seems to include many of the commercial software discs, like Quicken or some commercially produced music CDs and DVDs. "

(http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/G70-460US-DVD-CD-drive-will-not-read-write-some-discs...

Is that so? So there is not any way to get my notebook to read these DVD's ? Is there any way to fix it?

I even tried updating the firmware and installing an UDF reader (most of the DVD's my notebook doesnt read are UDF's)

Student
capricorn25
Message 5 of 5 (2,222 Views)

Hi,  I am also new to this and do not know a lot about computers.  I downloaded an adobe flashplayer update and now the computer will not read the dvd.  It gives me an error message  0x80010108. How do I find out what that means and fix the problem?  Thanks for any help you can give me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation