Question

Top Student
GlenP
Message 1 of 66 (97,135 Views)

DVD/RW drive not reading DVDs

I have an HP Pavilion with Vista Home Premium 32 bit, with a LightScribe DVD/RW SuperMulti drive.  I am able to read/burn audio CD's (both commercial and CD-R/RW).  But, I have tried 4 different DVD movie discs, and every time, the drive spins and tries to read, but then nothing happens, and when I try to go to Start/Computer/DVD drive and "Explore" or "Open", the drive tray ejects and a window pops up saying "Please insert a disc".  So, it seems that the DVD/RW drive is simply not able to read DVD movie discs.  Any idea if this is a driver problem, or do I need to replace the DVD/RW drive?

Thanks,

- Glen

Honor Student
popdoctor1
Message 2 of 66 (97,043 Views)

Re: DVD/RW drive not reading DVDs

This is exactly the same problem I am having , Sounds like a system problem . I have tried every fix HP has suggested with negative results . Hopefully someone can help both of us . Glad to see I am not alone !
Honor Student
IH8MYHP
Message 3 of 66 (97,033 Views)

Same Problem Here. Go to my computer icon right click select properties then device manager. Look for you cd/dvd drive right click uninstall. Then got to control panel and open add new hardware. Should fix it. If not you probly have a corrupt driver and need to download another one since you cant use your CD DRIVE TO INSTALL IT AGAIN. THANKS HP. Need more help contact me via email eckhartbyron@comcast.net. HOPE THIS WORKS
Honor Student
ronyork234
Message 4 of 66 (90,485 Views)

Running Windows 7 on HP m8100n.   CDRom will play audio disks, but will not now read / play video DVDs or install from digital DVD, such as simple Nancy Drew or Sims Game.   Everything was working OK not long ago, say 30 - 60 days.   Have tried uninstalling & reinstalling hardware, downloaded most recent driver, etc.  No success.  Please help.

Honor Student
George_Clark
Message 5 of 66 (90,462 Views)

Having the same problem here, reading CD's fine, just nothing else. No fixes via installing and uninstalling here either. Let us know If you hear of anything :smileyhappy:

When life gives you lemons, make grape juice just to confuse the person sat next to you.
Honor Student
ronyork234
Message 6 of 66 (90,431 Views)

Did all that, but it did not solve my problem.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 7 of 66 (90,421 Views)

Hi,

Try this Microsoft tool.

Download and install Imgburn and see if Imgburn has issues reading a DVD.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Student
MikeInGV
Message 8 of 66 (89,956 Views)

I have a similar problem with my HP laptop running Vista Home Premium. The main difference is that the DVD-R with not read ANY type of disk.

Device shows the drive with the yellow question mark, meaning is sees it but doesn't know what to do with it.

Alternately I'm willing to replace the drive, but how are where do I buy it. HP's web site is so convoluted that it's darned near impossible to find this information.

Honor Student
finchey
Message 9 of 66 (89,709 Views)

My computer has issues with reading cd's and dvd's. I changed the area code to Australia only and this still did not work. Is there a way to get rid of this change? It says that you only have five changes and then you need to get new drivers.

If i download this IMGBURN to see if this has issues with reading cd's and dvd's from computer will this corrupt other things on the system. will I be able to read my older stuff and will it disrupt media player. I have downloaded new media player 11 and tried all the fix its. Teh cd reader still is not working. Is there a problem with all the system. I thought this was just me.

Honor Student
candasm
Message 10 of 66 (87,688 Views)

[ Edited ]

i have a same problem 

i have hp dv6645et and it has a optiarc dvd/rw ad-7561a drive ( iam not sure windows 7 says that )

so ok i can understand maybe software problem and my drive is reading just cd and writeing cd 

but why its not reading dvd when comp is booting ?  i cant use dvd drive's even system boot for use the dvd install a operation system so is it a hardware problem ? if its a hardware problem why my drive is still reading and writeing cd ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation