HP DVD Writer 740b not recognizing DVDs (2898 Views)
Student
gtjazzman
Message 1 of 1 (2,898 Views)

HP DVD Writer 740b not recognizing DVDs

My 740b will not recognize DVDs. I have no problems with CDs but any DVD I put in the tray isn't recognized. I initially thought the problem was with the DVD+R I was using but I also have a Slimline s3132w with a DVD writer installed and it burned and read the same discs with no problems. I tried several commercal DVDs (movies) and when I try to play them I get a no disc in drive error. I also have a Lite-On DVD SOHD-16P9S DVD ROM on the same system and have no problems what so ever playing the same discs. I have tried replacing the ATA data cables post attempting the trouble shooting tips given on the support web page. I have upgraded the firmware hoping this might alleviate the problem with no success. As I stated before this problem is only with DVDs, the drive has no problems what so ever with CDs. I have a feeling the problem my be with my updating to Windows XP SP3. I had done so before but removed it because my Linksys Wireless Adapter(PCI) wouldn't function with it installed. That problem has been repaired and now this. The system the drive is installed in is as follows:
 HP a1203w
                  cpu: Athlon 64 3800+ @ 2.2ghz
                video: ATI 9550 w/256mb video memory
               audio: Sound Blaster Audigy Z2S Platinum
         boot drive: Seagate ST340014A 40GB
secondary drive: Seagate ST3250620A 250GB
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation