Question

Student
gtjazzman
Message 1 of 3 (2,965 Views)

HP DVD Writer 740b not recognizing DVDs

My 740b will not recognize DVDs. I have no problems with CDs but any DVD I put in the tray isn't recognized. I initially thought the problem was with the DVD+R I was using but I also have a Slimline s3132w with a DVD writer installed and it burned and read the same discs with no problems. I tried several commercal DVDs (movies) and when I try to play them I get a no disc in drive error. I also have a Lite-On DVD SOHD-16P9S DVD ROM on the same system and have no problems what so ever playing the same discs. I have tried replacing the ATA data cables post attempting the trouble shooting tips given on the support web page. I have upgraded the firmware hoping this might alleviate the problem with no success. As I stated before this problem is only with DVDs, the drive has no problems what so ever with CDs. I have a feeling the problem my be with my updating to Windows XP SP3. I had done so before but removed it because my Linksys Wireless Adapter(PCI) wouldn't function with it installed. That problem has been repaired and now this. The system the drive is installed in is as follows:
 HP a1203w
                  cpu: Athlon 64 3800+ @ 2.2ghz
                video: ATI 9550 w/256mb video memory
               audio: Sound Blaster Audigy Z2S Platinum
         boot drive: Seagate ST340014A 40GB
secondary drive: Seagate ST3250620A 250GB
Honor Student
Dogbytes
Message 2 of 3 (24 Views)

Re: HP DVD Writer 740b not recognizing DVDs

OK chalk me up too to the list of users whose HP DVD Writer 740b cannot "see" blank DVD's and CD's.

Full marks to HP in that I am still smoothly running a Pavilion Media Centre PC EG211AA-ABG m7288a. I find the older plug compatablity useful and have beefed up RAM making it still a powerful "retro" media machine after all these years.....

However after a power failure caused a disk error that trashed my Windows XP and while it restored (as in full reset) like a trooper I took the opportunity to do a clean upgrade to Windows 7 (64bit) seeing as XP is no longer supported. And yes my HP DVD Writer 740b cannot detect blank DVD's and CD's although it can read those with content. It seems to be acting more like a CD ROM drive than a Read Write drive.

I have tried ALL the suggested fixes to no avail and yes my "shell detection" service is operational and on automatic.

But here's the rub as it were. My HP Support Assistant assures me that I have a HP DVD Writer 740b installed and running ED24 firmware. So I was hopeful when I found that there was an HP upgrade from the ED24 firmware (sp26595.exe - DVD-RW 16X HP DVD Writer 740b Drive Firmware Update ). HOWEVER even if I run it in XP compatable mode it returns the message that I do NOT have a HP DVD Writer 740b installed and therefore no upgrade is required.

The label on the front of the drive is "LightScribe DVD +/- Writer / CD-Writer".

Is the HP Assistant wrong in identifying it as an HP DVD Writer 740b? Also could the drive be getting confused thinking a blank disc is a lightscribe disc in upsidedown ready for printing? I have to try and find a way to reload the LabelPrint software (have the LSS) that was lost when I upgraded to Windows 7. Probably can't retrieve it from the old XP recovery disk.

Any NEW thoughts (especially as to why firmware upgrade does not see the drive) most wrlcome as apart from this one little thing the Pavilion is performing like a trooper and is an excellent advertisement for the durability of HP products (which is why we brought 3 HP laptops as well.

Hopeful thanks in advance.

Dogbytes

Honor Student
Dogbytes
Message 3 of 3 (11 Views)

Re: HP DVD Writer 740b not recognizing DVDs

OK for what it is worth to anybody who may still be on the older systems and wondering why their CD DVD writer no longer works past Windows XP (can't be too many left now but if it helps anybody ...) much investigation later and got a handle on the problem but fix very unlikely.

The system tells me it is a 740b drive but it is actually a 740i drive physically (I assume the i stands for internal). Found a firmware update for the 740i and it installed without problem. HOWEVER it is not a solution to the REAL problem.

The real problem is that in their wisdom HP have stopped making driver upgrades for the 740i and 740b drives BEFORE Win 7. Not only that but they seem to have removed the pages where the last upgrade file (sp42818.exe) could be downloaded from (even if it might have worked with Win 7 64bit ... loonngg shot).

Because no driver for the 704i now exists anywhere on the internet Win 7 does the best it can by using a "universal" CD-ROM driver "cdrom.sys". BUT it IS a CD-ROM driver not a CD WRITER driver. Hence the drive now acts like a CD-ROM only drive. Can't write to disks, only read them IF they have something on them. Hence blank disks do not even register as being in the drive.

Work around seems to be get an external disk reader / writer for writing disks and using the internal one as a CD-ROM only but with BOOT capability for repairs and restores. THAT is IF the create repair and restore disks can be written to an external drive. Even if it could be sent to a usb drive and a disk created on another machine from the USB files.

First step will be to GET an external CD DVD Reader / writer.

Going back to XP is not an option now either.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation