HP MediaSmart DVD - Need to Update Bluray Software - Advice?? (19010 Views)
Top Student
venedan
Message 1 of 17 (19,010 Views)

HP MediaSmart DVD - Need to Update Bluray Software - Advice??

Hi Guys,

So has there been any update to this issue after all these months? I recently bought an HP Pavillion Slimline 5500t and when I first got the system about a month ago the Blu Ray player worked although not very well. It skipped and stuttered and had some pixelization issues with a few Bluray Discs. Seems to play non-Bluray fine. Then I got Avatar this past Friday and put the disc in the computer - played fine for about 40 mins - maybe an occasional stutter but nothing I couldn't tolerate. I made no system changes at all and last night (sunday night, two days later) when I insert the same exact bluray disc (Avatar) I get a red screen that says "Your Bluray Software needs to be updated, please contact your manufacturer." 

I call tech support and after 3hrs of doing updates and other stuff I am in the exact same situation as I was before. Only now they tell me they want to do a system recovery back to the day I got the PC which will wipe out all my data and configuration settings. I told them no way. Everything is working perfectly EXCEPT the HP Media Smart DVD software. So why would I blow out my entire system and all the programs I've downloaded.

So I'm now stuck. I like others have said do not want to pay $89.95 for Cyberlink's PowerDVD after I already paid $1200 for this computer with all the upgraded goodies to be able to play BluRay. Very disappointed in HP for not fixing this issue properly. Any advice?

Thanks, Dan

-----------------------
HP Pavillion Slimeline - S5580t - Windows 7
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 17 (19,005 Views)

Re: HP MediaSmart DVD - Need to Update Bluray Software - Advice??

Dan,

Usually the message " Your Blu-ray software needs updating" means that the AACS data is out of date. If your PC came equipped with Blu-ray when shipped from HP then you shuold only need to do the Cyberlink update (not upgrade).

You might also need a video card software update from the manufacturer's web site to improve your playback performance.

You can use the HP Recovery Manager running under Windows to uninstall and then reinstall the all the software associated with media center.  Once reinstalled then be sure to do all the media center and Cyberlink updates.  I don't know if this will solve a possible out of date AACS data situation but it's worth a try.  The Cyberlink update needs to come directly from the Cyberlink web site.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
venedan
Message 3 of 17 (18,990 Views)

Thanks Big Dave.

So that leaves me with a whole bunch of questions. Why the heck can't HP update their own software if this is in fact an AACS copyright issue? Why do they do almost constant updates to the OS and other peripherals (security, backups, support utilities) but not do an update to something as important as a Bluray player that is rendered completely useless?

I downloaded a trial edition of Slysoft and everything works perfectly now. Both Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 (which did not work at all with Avatar Bluray until I downloaded Slysoft's "crack" software) and the integrated HP Media Smart DVD also works perfectly well. Both even look 2x as good now as they did before Slysoft. Not sure how that is even possible but last Sunday it was like I was watching bluray off a netbook processor and now looks like I'm watching on a supercomputer.

Really annoying that HP can charge you for something like BluRay and then not even ensure it works. I hope someone from HP reads these forums.

-----------------------
Top Student
venedan
Message 4 of 17 (18,988 Views)

Also reposting another post I left on another thread with more info of my situation:

"But for real. I was trying to explain this issue to my girlfriend last night and she was like, "but my crappy old DVD player has never had an issue playing any DVD I put in it, so why would your $1200 computer have a problem?"

And there we are. I totally agree with her. It is complete BS. Not to mention I took the other poster's advice and downloaded Slysoft and whala...perfect picture quality, no encryption or "need to update your software" errors at all.

So this is 100% a licensing / copyright update issue and HP / Cyberlink are just behind the curve. What I can't understand is how can Netflix and others be sending out discs that don't work in people's stand alone Bluray players?? And if they do in fact work in the stand alone players then why in the hell would they NOT work in a high speed / media center spec built always online always connected computer which could download new codecs/updates every single day if it required to do so??

I don't get it. I'm gonna complain to HP today because this is 100% a licensing issue. And to think they almost had me roll back my whole **bleep** computer and delete all my files and settings. All I had to do was a 10sec download and everything works perfectly. But I don't want to pay for Slysoft...its F-ing expensive. I'm pissed."

-----------------------
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 5 of 17 (18,986 Views)

The HP and Cyberlink update processes are "supposed" to take care of these issues. I have no idea why they fail. 

I do have the HP Blu-ray and Cyberlink software on my e9280t and it appears to be fine.  I haven't tried AVATAR which might require an update.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Touchpad
Top Student
davjamison
Message 6 of 17 (18,973 Views)

I just went through a lengthy and painful chat session with HP support on this issue. I think I finally figured out (with a little help from Cyberlink and none from HP) that my old monitor does not have HDCP on its DVI input. Looks like it's either buy a new monitor or SW like slysoft. What a pain in the a**.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 7 of 17 (18,972 Views)

What monitor are you using?

HP Touchpad
Tutor
marky_mark896
Message 8 of 17 (18,692 Views)

We got "How To Train Your Dragon" Bluray today, and it will only run until the menu, and then when we hit play, it crashes after the "This motion picture is rated PG..." screen.  Here is the error message we get:

HPDVDPlayer error.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Tutor
Adrenarush
Message 9 of 17 (18,612 Views)

Mark, I seem to be having the same error you have specified, but I am trying to play the movie "9".  I've had problems with this software (MediaSmart DVD) in the past, but it has been working suprisingly well until we encountered this video.  Anyone else experienced this error and know how to fix it.  I've checked and the MediaSmart software appears to be up-to-date and it appears that the previews on the disk work fine.  Unfortunately the error message does not provide any information about what is causing the error.

I'd love to hear from someone who can help address this issue.

Tutor
marky_mark896
Message 10 of 17 (18,604 Views)

I've had problems with the movie "9" on my HDX16T laptop with mediasmart dvd, but not with my HPE-210f.  I never could get "9" to play on the laptop, but it works fine in my desktop.  I actually fixed my problem with How to Train Your Dragon by reverting to older version of mediasmart dvd.  So far so good.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation