Question

Student
cindyhh
Message 1 of 4 (5,369 Views)

Media Smart DVD player not working at all

I have a brand new hp Pavilion dm4-1160us laptop - When I placea movie in the DVD player it spins - but the monitor states to

please insert DVD - I have taken it out and replaced - it still won't work.  Have tried numerous DVD's - brand new ones -

nothing.  Windows media player won't play it either.  Any ideas/suggestions?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 4 (5,339 Views)

Re: Media Smart DVD player not working at all

Hi,

Download the latest installer for HP MediaSmart DVD on the link below and save it to your Desktop.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50501-51000/sp50935.exe

When the download has completed, right click the installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the process.  When the new software has installed, restart the PC and see if DVDs will now play.

If they still don't, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Check if the drive will now play DVDs..

If the drive is not working, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Click to open the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.  Right click on the first channel and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When uninstalled repeat the process for each channel.  Also if an ATA controller is listed, right click and uninstall this, again not deleting drivers if asked. Then open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.

Reboot the PC and let Windows reinstall the devices.  Check the drive again.

If it still isn't working, run the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below again.

Windows 7

Next, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
wallacegirl002
Message 3 of 4 (4,672 Views)

i've done all the advise procedures but by my media player still wont work...what will i do?:smileysad:
Student
charleslatimer
Message 4 of 4 (740 Views)

Geek Squad man Christopher worked on my HP Windows 7  computer for 2 /2 hours yesterday   But my main problem has not been solved.  HP Media Smart DVD will not recognize any disc. Error message is "Insert Disc"   OR "Not supported." 

What can I do while trying to get Geek Squad back here again?  What is wrong with this message? 

Charles Latimer

cindyhh wrote:

I have a brand new hp Pavilion dm4-1160us laptop - When I placea movie in the DVD player it spins - but the monitor states to

please insert DVD - I have taken it out and replaced - it still won't work.  Have tried numerous DVD's - brand new ones -

cindyhh wrote:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation