Question

Top Student
indyjones45
Message 1 of 12 (9,766 Views)

MediaSmart DVD won't play my Blu-Ray discs

[ Edited ]

So here's what happened:

The other day I tried to watch my How to Train Your Dragon Blu-Ray disc on my MediaSmart DVD player, i had watched many blu ray movies on the program before but this time something went wrong. I was able to go to the movie's menu, but right when I pressed "play" an error message saying something about the C++ runtime error, very similar to what happened in this thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-TV-Tuners-and-Media/HP-MediaSmart-DVD-C-runtime-error/m-p/3616...

That being said, i followed the steps in that thread to try to fix it. At first it seemed to work, but when I finally reinstalled the program, it will not let me watch Blu-Ray discs. Instead, Mediasmart will recognize the disc and the display will say "Disc is ready for playing. Press Play to continue" But when i press play, nothing happens. However, DVD's work fine on the program. I've tried everything from system restores (I have done so many I do not have a restore point available where i can go back to a time where it was working), to cleaning out the registry, and uninstalling and reinstalling the program. Nothing has worked. And, yes my Auto Play options do have Blu-Ray playback activated for MediaSmart, still it doesn't seem to work.

I really want to get this fixed, and if there's ANY way this can get fixed, please let me know as soon as possible. I am currently running a free 30 day trial of PowerDVD 10 for the time being, but I would really love to have the Blu Ray function of MediaSmart working again.

-Kirby Price

Master's Graduate
KiranTalluri
Message 2 of 12 (9,724 Views)

Re: MediaSmart DVD won't play my Blu-Ray discs

HI,

Please follow the steps given below to get it resolved. 

Click Start->Control Panel->PRograms and Features. Select MediaSmart DVD and click Uninstall. Uninstall PowerDVD too. 

Install MediaSmart New Version: 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp49001-49500/sp49489.exe

Check if every Blu-ray Disc works fine with MediaSmart DVD, if it does not work, please try newest Version released .

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50501-51000/sp50778.exe

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
Top Student
indyjones45
Message 3 of 12 (9,693 Views)

[ Edited ]

Every time i try and reinstall it, my AVG anti-virus program always finds a virus lying in the software, and then i get a message saying the program may not have installed correctly and you may need to reinstall it, I have not done these steps yet because at the moment I am at school, yet from past experience it never installs correctly. Do i need to turn off my antivirus program when re-installing it? I'm rather worried that if it is a virus, my computer will get infected....

Master's Graduate
KiranTalluri
Message 4 of 12 (9,669 Views)

Hi, 

It is Legit Application that cannot be found as Malware, please uninstall MediaSmart DVD from the Programs and Features first, and reinstall the First MediaSmart DVD Download link, and check to see if it works,

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
Top Student
indyjones45
Message 5 of 12 (9,664 Views)

I sincerely apologize if I am asking too much, but I technically did not get my question answered. Do I need to turn off anti-virus while it's installing? Because I think that might be what's preventing a successful installation. Again, sorry if I'm asking too much, i just want to be extra careful.

Master's Graduate
KiranTalluri
Message 6 of 12 (9,640 Views)

Hi, 

If AntiVirus is blocking installation, go ahead, and disable for once. In Ideal case, it should not block installing MediaSmart

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Student
nickfury2345
Message 7 of 12 (9,218 Views)

I had the same problem with how to train your dragon, but i did not ever uninstall the program, what can i do play the movie successfully?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 8 of 12 (9,200 Views)

@ nickfury2345

Are you running Commodo Firewall, AVG or Avira anti virus software and/or any virtual drives like Daemon Tools ?

Student
dacia3
Message 9 of 12 (8,834 Views)

Thank you so much for the tip.  I am not computer literate and the steps you posted were very easy to follow.  I can watch my blu-ray dvds again! 

Student
vegasjohn
Message 10 of 12 (7,456 Views)

Thank you so much,Kiran.Your advice worked perfectly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation