Question

Honor Student
Kernal_Klink
Message 1 of 5 (2,454 Views)
Accepted Solution

No AHCI option in BIOS . SATA DVD Burner recognized as IDE .

[ Edited ]

Hello , I am new to the forum and need some advice , else why would I be here ,  right ?

I have an HP Pavilion a610n desktop with the AMD Athlon 3000+ CPU . I upgraded from XP to Windows 7 Home Premium . I borrowed an IDE DVD drive to install the new system because the original HP drive no longer worked .

After installation I purchased a new 24X Multiformat DVD Writer (HP DVD 1270i) and plugged it into one of the two SATA connectors on the motherboard (have since tried both ) and purchased an adapter for the power connection (4 pin Molex to 15 pin SATA) . Booted up the computer and the device was installed and everything seemed fine until I put an audio CD into the drive and it just sat there with the silly little icon rolling around . I tried a DVD movie in it next and it froze the computer .

I then went into the set-up to see if there was an option to switch from IDE to SATA or AHCI but there isn't . In the device manager the DVD is listed as an IDE drive so I believe that I need some sort of  BIOS upgrade to enable the SATA support . HP support has no new BIOS downloads for this computer on their download page . Only XP is listed as an operating system .  Is my only option to return the drive and get an IDE model ?

Sorry for the novel but I tried to give a complete account of my attempts at resolution . Thanks for any advice you can give !

Kernal Klink

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 5 (2,433 Views)

Re: No AHCI option in BIOS . SATA DVD Burner recognized as IDE .

Kernal, welcome to the forum.

I checked the Product Specifications for a BIOS update. There is a BIOS update, but it is only for XP Home Media Center. The BIOS is dated 8/25/2005. It would not correct any problems that you are experiencing at this point. You could try reinstalling XP and doing the BIOS update, but as I said, it doesn't appear to correct any of your problems.

I believe that I would return the drive and save your money for a new computer. You have nothing to lose and much to gain.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 5 (2,416 Views)

Old Geekster ,

I don't want a new computer . I don't need to have the latest , greatest and fastest processor . The one I have will do what I need it to do . My mistake was thinking that because there are SATA connections on the motherboard that I could buy a SATA dvd drive . I already know that I can get an IDE drive to work . I was just hoping that I could use the faster format that SATA promised . I mean no disrespect , you obviously have much more  computer knowledge than me and your recommendation is most likely what I will end up doing . Thanks for the reply and thanks for the welcome .

Kernal Klink

Provost
old_geekster
Message 4 of 5 (2,378 Views)

Kernal, you are welcome. Ya know, many times it doesn't come down to a load of knowledge. Sometimes you simply have to be lucky enough to come up with a solution that works. Approximately 65% of all computer problems are caused by software. So, I always begin with it. If that doesn't work, next comes checking the hardware. In your case, technology is simply moving too fast for your computer. My computer is almost 5 years old. It is doing everything that I need it to do, but the motherboard is obsolete. If I have a problem, it is new computer time.

Good luck!

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 5 of 5 (2,314 Views)

O_G , I hear you and I agree with you and eventually I will get a newer model . However , I am very stubborn and refuse to throw away things that still serve the use for which I purchased them . I'm almost embarrassed to say that I was still using Windows 98 on my personal computer (desktop , not this one) until a year and a half ago . I had purchased three computers for step-children with first XP and then Vista OS's on them and I had 98  . It did the things I needed it to do and when it didn't anymore I inherited one of the computers as a hand-me-back . Which is the one I just upgraded to Windows 7 .

As a final note , I ordered a SATA to IDE converter from Amazon for $1.45 with a shipping cost of of $2.95 and amazingly enough - it works ! I had seen them advertised for over $20 .

Again , thanks for the reply .

Kernal

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation