Re: Problem with DVD not burning (1677 Views)
Honor Student
ladydottie
Message 1 of 6 (1,682 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem with DVD not burning

I have a Compaq SR1750NX with XP Media Center.  I have never had any problems with the CD/DVD playing or burning anything before.  Tonight, I bought DVD-R, 16X, 4.7GB/Go, 120 min, Memorex brand, in ten pack.   I inserted one into my DVD-Writer/CD-Writer Combo.  I tried to send some files to the drive.  It objected to a certain kind (picture) so I deleted them.   I didn't need them, anyway.  Then to test it, I tried to send a small file from the word processor.  That did not burn, either.  When I looked at the control screen, the drive showed that it did not have any content on it.   In the past, I used mainly CD's for burning, but I wanted to use DVD's for their larger capacity.   

I never had any problems before.  This computer has been very reliable for most uses.  Did I purchase the incorrect DVD type?  If not, what can I do to fix the problem?   

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (1,677 Views)

Re: Problem with DVD not burning

Hi,

Download and install ImgBurn on the link below and use this to burn files to your drive.  See if this works.  If it doesn't, try a different brand of DVD such as Verbatim and see if that resolves the problem.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Distinguished Professor
TheOldMan
Message 3 of 6 (1,654 Views)

I believe that there may be a misunderstanding about what type of disk can be used for data.  WinXP has the ability to burn data to CD's with the OS, if it has been enabled.  WinXP does not known how to do the same thing with DVD's.  It may seem to be similar media, but the OS does not recognized the DVD as a data media.  Imgburn can burn to either but only as a one time event.  You cannot burn some data and then come back at a later time to put more on the disk.  WinXP will allow the CD to be used somewhat like a floppy drive as long as it is not finalized (made to be used anywhere or whatever it asks before you leave)

I did not use Vista, so I cannot comment on it but Windows 7 will allow the same with CD or DVD, I believe.

If the DVD's are needed to be used as a data storage in WinXp, try CDBurnerXP: http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

I have not used it, but others say it does an adequate job for a free application.

{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
ladydottie
Message 4 of 6 (1,637 Views)

Hello! Thank you very much for the advice. Yesterday, I downloaded the ImgBurn and managed to burn the data onto the DVD.  I did not know that WinXP was not capable of that function, for data.  I have used CD's for that, but this file had 675 MB on it.  I will buy CD's to do that in the future. 

Honor Student
ladydottie
Message 5 of 6 (1,635 Views)

Hi David, Thanks for your help!  I downloaded ImgBurn and managed to burn the data to the DVD. 

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 6 (1,574 Views)

Hi,

Good, I'm glad you've got it all working now.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation