Question

Tutor
javierdl
Message 1 of 6 (3,718 Views)

dvd740b Writer won't open door

I just upgraded my motherboard, CPU, and RAM, everything is working fine except my DVD writer. It just won't open its door.

I attempted to download the drivers from the HP web site, but instead it lead me to a file to update its firmware. I did install it successfully and restarted but I still have the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

JDL

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 6 (3,679 Views)

Re: dvd740b Writer won't open door

Is there a disc inside? You probably have already done this, but it needs to be said. There should be a little hole in the front of the faceplate. With the PC turned off (power cord unplugged), insert a straightened paperclip into the hole to manually eject the drive drawer.

Leave the drawer open and plug in the power and turn on the PCl. The drawer should close. Hopefully that gets it.

If not, verify that the drive opens when you physically press the drive door button - you may need to remove the front cover if the drive is in an HP chassis and the button is covered.

Here is a support article from HP on the subject.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Tutor
javierdl
Message 3 of 6 (3,673 Views)

Thank you so much RB for your feedback :smileyhappy:

I had just tried that as someone from HP had adviced the same.

Additionally, he said:

"Then please disable the drive through device manager, reboot your pc, let the
operating system reload your drive,Check whether it runs properly."
I did this, and I even"Uninstalled" the drive from the Device Manager options. But the door still does not open.

I noticed the drive installed intself again. I can see it in Device Manager.

By the way, I did use the paperclip to open the door and found a DVD I had there. I removed it and closed the door manually.

I hope there more things to try.

JDL

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 4 of 6 (3,657 Views)

If you tried everything in the support document and it still doesn't work then things are getting serious.

There is one last thing I would do to make sure that the drive's motor electronics still work...

Unplug the power cable to the computer.

Remove the side panel.

Disconnect the data cable from the back of the drive (not the power cable).

Place the data cable where it will not hit any fans.

Replace the side panel (leaving the dta cable disconnected).

Plug the power back in.

Turn on the computer.

Press the eject button on the front of the drive.

If the drawer opens - the drive's internal hardware works and the problem should be related to a Windows driver or an always on signal coming from the motherboard.

If the drawer does not close, the drive is essentially bad. You'll probably need to replace it. If it hums when you press the button, the drawer may be off its track (I had one of these once), and you might be able to fix it by opening the drawer and shining a flashlight inside to look at the inards. The one I had, I had to remove the cover and physically set the sides of the plastic tray that had teeth along the edge into a another plastic portion of a track that the sides of the tray fit into. Just for the record, my broken drive was caused by one of my younger kids pushing in on the drive while the drive door was supposed to be going out.

I hope you get it.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Tutor
javierdl
Message 5 of 6 (3,622 Views)

Thanks a lot for all that info RB :smileyhappy:

Disconnecting the Data cable didn't work :smileysad:

Now I hope it's only that the drawer is off its track.

I'll let you know what happened as soon as I get to try.

JDL

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 6 of 6 (3,353 Views)

Since you changed things like motherboard and such have you checked the sata/ide cable and power cable to and from the disc drive inside the pc to make sure they are properly in?

If the disc drive tray doesn't open it's only because of 3 things.

1) the power cable to the disc drive inside the pc is not connector properly or at all or that line isn't powering up the drive.

and

2) the disc drive has a mechanicel problem or it's blocked and the tray isn't opening

or maybe 3

3) there's discs and things in the drive which prevent the tray from ejecting.

I would check the power cable first thing and if it doesn't work try anothe disc drive.

newegg.com has them for no more than $30 for a new decent drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation