Question

Intern
Newcombc7
Message 1 of 7 (1,413 Views)

Firebird 802 Reformat and Reinstall = No Graphics

Hello, I posted a while back on here about my Firebird and how I lost all SLI capabilities when switching over to Windows 7  from Vista with a clean install. You can see that past history here for reference: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Gaming/Vedeyn-Firebird-802-Graphic-Drivers/td-p/279600/page/3 

Regardless of those troubles, I was advised by HP support over the phone after trying numerous things to buy their recovery discs which have Windows Vista on them, and try a clean reformat and install. 

I reformatted my hard drive, wiping all of Windows 7 and any data and then installed the HP Vista discs. Windows Vista installs correctly to my knowledge, but I am not able to enable SLI on my graphics cards.  Back to square one. I am absolutley sure there is no hardware damage, as I've gone over the insides of the machine and it hasn't moved in months. This all started when I originally formatted my drive to install Windows 7. I'm thinking at this point because it was a pre-installed system on the hard drive, that I am lacking some sort of pre-installed software or driver that I can't get anywhere on the Internet. 

HP drivers on the support site are not working as they should ( And ancient anyway I might add). New NVIDIA drivers aren't working as they should or could be, and I am at a wall again. 

Does anyone have this problem too or a solution? I'm stumped. I would be grateful for any assistance.

Intern
Newcombc7
Message 2 of 7 (1,412 Views)

Re: Firebird 802 Reformat and Reinstall = No Graphics

Also to note:

Running Firebird 802, Windows Vista 64 bit, Current Graphics cards listed as this is device manager :

NVidia nforce 760i SLI

Standard VGA Adapter

Standard VGA Adapter

The 760i SLI is updated to NVDIA 266.35. 

Intern
Newcombc7
Message 3 of 7 (1,364 Views)

FIxed this problem after quite a long time of it being broken.

-Problem was the I updated BIOS from the drivers on HP's FB802 Vista page. Updated before switching over to Windows 7 . I wiped everything then installed Win 7. When I updated drivers, which were correct drivers, I was not able to enable SLI because the BIOS was not engaging the Hybrid SLI, and in turn not allowing the user to change Hybrid SLI settings from the taskbar or power options. 

-Fixed this by:

-Downloading 266.58 64-bit nvidia drivers, and 15.56 nforce drivers

-Uninstalling all nvidia video drivers from control panel

-download driver sweeper and installing

-booting in safe mode and uninstalling all NVIDIA drivers with driver sweeper (this clears all unwanted, out of date data).

-Restart and install 15.56 drivers, restarting and then installing 266.58 drivers.

-Restart again and go into BIOS. Find option to setup default settings. (Do at your own risk. This worked for me, it might not work for you. Make sure you have the same problem as me, and are trying a clean install. Messing with BIOS settings otherwise might make things not work.)

Intern
Newcombc7
Message 4 of 7 (1,141 Views)

Thought I'd add an update to this thread. It's been a long time, and after having fixed my problem, I haven't had any issues since. Can play everything very well. 

Just had a quirk today though with an NVDIA update via windows update. Was called:

nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA nForce 760i SLI

DO NOT UPDATE THIS. not a huge problem, but I had to restore my computer before this update. 

Still running strong on 266.58 (3 year old drivers that still are the best)

Honor Student
9V1JP
Message 5 of 7 (873 Views)

I have a HP Firebird 802 originally installed with Windows Vista.  Machine failed to boot up and I sent it to repair technician.  He changed the Intel Quad core CPU and one of the 2 Gb RAM, upgraded the OS to Win 7 (HP upgrade disc).  The PC booted up nicely and quickly but the 2 9800 GPU cannot be enabled, else you get blue screen.  Latest graphics driver installed.  currently only the MB GPU is used.  I wonder what I should do right now??

James Puah

Honor Student
9V1JP
Message 6 of 7 (871 Views)

Forgot to include my current graphics driver version and date:

For the twin NVIDIA GeForce 9800 S:

Driver Version: 8.17.12.6635

Date: 21-12-2010

For the Mother Board GPU NVIDIA nForce 760i SLI :

Driver Version:  9.18.13.1106

Date: 18-01-2013

Intern
Newcombc7
Message 7 of 7 (804 Views)

Hello 9v1JP,

This sounds very similar to my problem I had a while back. If I were you, I would do what I did to get it running. It literally took me 4 months to figure out how to fix it (I'm not the best, but I did figure it out eventually), because honestly these computers aren't supported well besides the forums. 

To me it looks like you're doing a few things wrong. First off, wipe all your drivers that you have installed. They're wrong. Nvidia doesn't support the drivers that are in the Firebird 802 because they were designed by Voodoo, using NVidia laptop tech into a desktop configuration, backed by HP money. Finger pointing all over the place at who is responsible for the upkeep has resulted in the best graphics drivers being 3 years old now. 

The problem with normal drivers is that they think that the SLI bridge (which is highly customized in these computers) is acutally 1 video card. As most hdmi or vga cables plugh right into the video card, the drivers use this configuartion. This is false. In the Firebird's case, the hdmi and vga plug into an SLI brigde which connects to each video card. Using regular drivers results in only using 1 or no video cards as they dont realize this. 

Older drivers work best because for a while NVIDIA was into hybrid SLI tech for laptops, and then stopped doing it. Firebird 802 was built right before this. So here's what to do:

Note: It sounds weird, but I haven't updated my graphics drivers in 3 years, and I can still play Skyrim on High settings no problem or Bioshock Infinite.  Occassionaly I have to do some tweaking with in-game settings to get the best results (as auto detect results in lowest settings 90% of the time, but it just makes you a smarter computer user) Do this:

-Download 15.56 nforce driver, http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/30520 ( This is for the SLI bridge)

-Download  266.58 64-bit nvidia drivers, http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-266.58-whql-driver.html

(These drivers are for your individual graphics cards, 9800 S)

- DO NOT INSTALL EITHER JUST HAVE THE DOWNLOAD DONE

-- Wipe all current drivers in SAFE MODE using driver sweeper. http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.html

-This is BIG: In Safe mode ( because now you have no graphics drivers, go to control panel, microsft auto updates, and disable automatic updating. Otherwise microsoft will install the latest drivers and your computer still won't work and you will have to start over!

-Restart in safe mode and install 15.56 nforce driver, then 266.58. Restart each time it asks you to.

-Final Restart, go into BIOS (right at beginning, and reset all bios settings to default. This should take care of it, and you will see the normal settings pop up in taskbar to select performance, and power saving modes.

Let me know how it turns out. I feel for anyone who is going through this problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation