Question

Honor Student
Daecion
Message 1 of 4 (846 Views)

Keyboard Shift+, Alt+, and Ctrl+ commands do not work

I just purchased a new desktop computer, and I've enjoyed many of the things that came with it.  Some better system specs, a shiny new monitor, and a comfortable new keyboard and mouse combo.  However, I've come to realize that the keyboard is not quite as effective for gaming as it is comfortable.

The new keyboard I recieved was listed as "HP Deluxe Wireless Keyboard & Wireless Mouse" when I purchased it.  If I'm playing say a shooting game and I decide I want to sprint, I would normally be holding down "W" and press and hold "Shift".  However, if I do so with my new keyboard, my character stops moving at all.  If I then continue holding down "Shift" and release the "W" key, and then push it down again I'll start sprinting.  If I then continue holding down the "W" key and release the "Shift" key to stop sprinting (with the intent of just moving normal pace), I once again stop moving entirely.  The same applies to actions involving the "Alt" and "Ctrl" keys.

It's very frustrating for me since I did just buy this new keyboard, and it feels pretty great for anything other than gaming.  Further, the mouse it came with does have five buttons which is actually useful if not required for gaming.  So I can't understand why the keyboard would have such a defect.

If there's any sort of software that I might be able to use to get the blasted keyboard to properly recognize these commands, I would very much appreciate it if someone could tell me about it.  Additionally, any information on keyboards that do actually function properly for gaming would be much appreciated.  I'm loathe to purchase a new keyboard after just getting one, and not inclined to spend a whole lot, but the current setup I'm facing is inexcusable.

Thank you to anyone who can help me out with this.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 4 (838 Views)

Re: Keyboard Shift+, Alt+, and Ctrl+ commands do not work

Hi,

1. Install fresh batteries in both the mouse and keyboard.  Be sure that the batteries are installed correctly.
  2. Turn off caps lock.
  3. Reinstall the driver(s) using the disk that came with the keyboard and mouse.
  4. Double check the game key mappings.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
Daecion
Message 3 of 4 (835 Views)

None of these solutions helped I'm afraid.  I don't believe this is some mere oversight on my part.  My keyboard simply doesn't work for what it's intended to.  Or at least, for what I intended to use it for.  Any further suggestions or assistance would be appreciated.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 4 (833 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Since your equipment is covered by warranty then contact HP Support.

HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT or online here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation