Question

Honor Student
hp1994
Message 1 of 5 (2,784 Views)

Radeon HD 6770 working properly?

I'm running the above noted card in a Pavilion Elite 501f configured as shipped.  I had assumed it would run Lord of the Rings Online on maximum graphics settings without breaking a sweat because my 5 year old HP did a respectable job running the game on medium settings.

I'm running the game on a 23.6" Samsung at 1980x1080 and in areas with trees (in particular) the graphics stutter on high settings.

Were my expectations too high and I just need to reduce the graphics settings or should this card actually be able to run a 5 year old MMO on max settings?

Secondly, is there a utility I could run to confirm the card was configured and operating as it should?

Appreciate any input.  Thanks.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 5 (2,776 Views)

Re: Radeon HD 6770 working properly?

HI,

hp1994 wrote:

I'm running the above noted card in a Pavilion Elite 501f configured as shipped.  I had assumed it would run Lord of the Rings Online on maximum graphics settings without breaking a sweat because my 5 year old HP did a respectable job running the game on medium settings.

I'm running the game on a 23.6" Samsung at 1980x1080 and in areas with trees (in particular) the graphics stutter on high settings.

Were my expectations too high and I just need to reduce the graphics settings or should this card actually be able to run a 5 year old MMO on max settings?

Secondly, is there a utility I could run to confirm the card was configured and operating as it should?

Appreciate any input.  Thanks.

Interesting. The card should be able to run the game on high settings. Which output interface are you using? Try the Crysis2 demo and see if that will run.

You can download and run GPU-z  to get all the settingsand temperature  details from your video card. After it is installed take a look at benchmarks that are posted on the web for that video card.

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
hp1994
Message 3 of 5 (2,754 Views)

The monitor is connencted with a DVI at the card and an HDMI at the monitor ( only cable supplied with the monitor).  Everything checked out fine on GPU-z.

I disabled shadows and reflections in the game graphics menu and it runs at 70 fps in a forest with no noticeable stutter.

Still looks really good.

Thanks for the help.

Honor Student
tbart
Message 4 of 5 (2,008 Views)

Your Radeon HD 6770 is not switching on. All laptops with the 1980x1080 resolution for some reason cannot recognize the graphics card and switch to it when its needed. Instead your laptop uses the energy saving and crappy intel graphics card always. Also HP rearranged the software so you can not manually turn on the graphics card.

This is a well known problem just search the forum for "6770 not working on dv6" and other popular high end models. This is a good one "New dv7-tqe 6100 CTO - Will Not Switch to ATI Graphics (6770M 2GB)". For some reason HP has not addressed or fixed the problem, even though every 1980x1080 laptop they have sold in the last 2 months cannot use the Radeon graphics card. 

Not only does this problem drastically effect gaming, but it also cripples any software that runs on open GL, most notably any adobe products like photoshop. Good luck trying to get it to work, many people have given up after 3 to 4 weeks with no official statement or acknowledgement from HP.

Teacher
sfawzy
Message 5 of 5 (1,914 Views)

[ Edited ]

actually this is not entrily true its much worse. all 61xx and 71xx have this issue. the problem is that automatic switching graphics doesnt recognise opengl apps/games so it is never used. you only recognize the problem when use high resolution becasue the built in graphics card cant handel it but it does with lower resoultions. so actually all notebooks with swithcable graphics currently doesnt supprot opengl

look at the forums here for more details:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/New-dv7-tqe-6100-CTO-Will-Not-Switch-to-ATI-...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/583203-dv6t-7-switchable-graphics.html

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation