keyboard sequentially types numbers instead of letters when games are played (6270 Views)
Top Student
thecursedland
Message 1 of 10 (6,270 Views)
Accepted Solution

keyboard sequentially types numbers instead of letters when games are played

When I start a video game, the keyboard letters will not work properly.  They will sequentially type 0-9 over and over again. Say for example I type w.  It will type out 0. if I hit w again it will type 1. and so on.

I have contacted support for the keyboard, but they were having a problem trying to help me wiht my problem.  I also looked up online about the problem in question, and have seen several instances in the last couple of months where the keyboard is acting up.

A SINful Dilemma
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 10 (6,266 Views)

Re: keyboard sequentially types numbers instead of letters when games are played

Hi,

If you are using a gaming keyboard and/or joystick this you might have a programming error that controls special key and button functions.  I have experienced this situation with a Satek joystick when trying to program in all of the special buttons and controls. This might not be your situation but if you have a profile for the keyboard, mouse or joystick you might want to carefully review the functions set for the keys and buttons.

If anything you are using is wireless then try replacing the batteries.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
thecursedland
Message 3 of 10 (6,263 Views)

Re: keyboard sequentially types numbers instead of letters when games are played

I am using a wired keyboard and I do not have any gaming devices.  I believe this to be an error involving the Windows 7.  When I set my games to use emulation of older Operating Sytems, the keys will act approprietly.  Thanks for your swift reply. :smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

A SINful Dilemma
Student
stanbrook1
Message 4 of 10 (6,235 Views)

I have the same problem on my HP M9250f Vista O/S. I believe it started on May 11 2011 when I used my MS Xbox controler.

I am paying for some tech service on line. I'll let you know if I found the solution.

Stanbrook1

Top Student
Gi141
Message 5 of 10 (6,195 Views)

I just registered to answer this issue.  This exact same thing has been driving me nuts.  It only happens in a game, and then only when I'm in the mapping page of Options, or actually playing the game.  The game interface chat window was fine, and all other normal usages were fine.

My problem was installing an ISP provided anti-virus package.  In the package was Norton and some other stuff I never had the opportunity to uncheck during the installation.  One of the those 'other' programs was something called GuardedID.  This program apparently was masking my all keystrokes after my first initial accurate keystroke with numbers counting from 0-through-9, and then resetting back to 0.  Maddening!

I uninstalled GuardedID and everything went back to fully functioning, as expected.  I'm not saying it has to be this exact program that is causing your issues.  But perhaps you can look for a similar password/identity protection program within your anit-virus package.

Good luck!

G.

Top Student
thecursedland
Message 6 of 10 (6,188 Views)

Oh! I see! I didn't even think about that.  My ISP (COMCAST now XFINITY).  It has some program which handles hiding keystrokes.   Did you contact your ISP and let them know what was going on with their 'security' program?

A SINful Dilemma
Honor Student
toz52
Message 7 of 10 (6,099 Views)

I could no longer play any Steam games thank to Comcast GuardianID Program it was typing numbers instead of letters

i deleted GuardianId rebooted and now everthing works fine. I wish comcast would test these programs out first .

Honor Student
toz52
Message 8 of 10 (6,097 Views)

if u have guardianid program installed delete it . i had the same problem u have and that fixed it

Top Student
thecursedland
Message 9 of 10 (6,084 Views)

I'll tell you another little oddity. Why does HP keyboards put a Fn function on their keyboards?  This is not a laptop I'm using.

At first I thought it might be that.  While playing a game I thought I might have hit the Fn key instead of the Alt or Ctrl.  I tried the instruction advice from different places but it didn't help my problem.  If it hadn't been for the guy that posted about the password blocking software, I would have probably never figured it out.  Comcast (Xfinithy) needs to check their software and figure out how to disable that function while playing video games. Of course, unless they get numerous complaints about it, they're not going to do anything about it.  That's why we need to report this to them.  Just because we are gamers does not mean that we should be neglected for password protection.  Raise a fuss with those people.  Corporations DO NOT CARE about us.  They only care about the numbers. 

A SINful Dilemma
Student
wraymills
Message 10 of 10 (5,761 Views)

Thanks for the answer to my problem. I had a problem, within windows only, not DOS. When I typed letters, even in an editor, sequential numbers 1-10 were shown. I uninstalled the GuaredID program and my problem went away.

Great job on the debug....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation