Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp dc5700 sff
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have HP Compaq DC5700 Small From Factor, I changed it CPU from "Intel Core 2 Duo e6300 1.83GHz"  to  "Intel Core 2 Duo e7200 2.53GHz".

When system boot ups it gives an error about "1801, processor microcode update error...",

Also in F10's system information it doesn's show the correct information about CPU,

Windows 7 Computer propertise show Processor:  Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz 1.60GHz.

BIOS version and date is:  Hewlett-Packard 786E2 v020.9,  10-NOV-11.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you do everything I wrote above, your PC will run just fine, and at the processor's normal ratings.

No microcode error, no issues.

There is, and never will be any offical fix to the problem.

Intel claims the E7xxx processors are not supported at all on the 965 chipset, and HP has refused to fix the BIOS issue where the processor only runs at 1/2 speed.

But like I wrote yesterday, that utility I posted will fix the 1/2 speed issue.

And if you can enter those commands like they suggested at the bottom of the webpage to make the program start automatically once windows loads, you won't even have to be concerned with that either.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Your dc5700 desktop's motherboard does not have BIOS support for the Intel Core 2 Duo e7200 you have installed.

The following CPUs are supported.

Intel Celeron D Processors with

#352, 512K cache, 3.2 GHz, D-0, 533 MHz FSB 433891-001

#360, 512K cache, 3.46 GHz, D-0, 533 MHz FSB 434758-001

Intel Pentium 4 HT Processors 

#524, 1 MB cache, 3.06 GHz, 533 MHz FSB 412985-001

#531, 1 MB cache, 3.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB 394642-001

#541, 1 MB cache, 3.2 GHz, 800 MHz FSB 394812-001

Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo Processors

#925, 2x2 MB cache, 3.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB 433510-001
#940, 2x4 MB cache, 3.2 GHz, 800 MHz FSB 430031-001
#945, 2x2 MB cache, 3.4 GHz, 800 MHz FSB 433890-001

Intel Core 2 Duo Processors
#E6300, 2x2 MB cache, 1.86 GHz, 1066 FSB 418947-001

#E6400, 2x2 MB cache, 2.13 GHz, 1066 FSB 418948-001

#E6600, 2x4 MB cache, 2.4 GHz, 1066 FSB 418949-001
#E6700, 2x4 MB cache, 2.67 GHz, 1066 FSB 418950-001

That is the reason you are seeing the error message.

The motherboard will run without the microcode update. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi:

You need to run this microcode update, and the error will go away.

Here is all the info you need to update the microcode for your dc5700.

I zipped up and attached the utility to make a bootable flash drive below, the DOS command files you need, as well as the dc5700 microcode update files.

Download and unzip the 3 files I attached.

You make the bootable flash drive first by running sp27608.

After the utility has formatted the drive and made it bootable, copy the DOS files to it, then copy the Microcode update files to it.

Copy just the files in the folders, not the folders.

Put the flash drive in the PC, turn it on and the PC should boot to the usb flash drive (or tap the F9 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen and select the USB flash drive from the boot options list).

At the command prompt, type Flashbin.exe and hit the enter key.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the microcode.

Note:  There is a problem with the E7xxx processors and the dc5700, because as Erico stated, they are not supported.

They only run at 1/2 speed, so you have to run the utility at the link below, to adjust the multiplier to the max, every time you start windows, or try putting those command files in the Windows startup section as set forth on the below website.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalCPUID/index-e.html

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul, I'll try your method and inform you it works or not.

I want to know that the CPU performance is decreased in my above written case? or its just an error or prompt, CPU will works as it should be?

> If there is any unofficial method, patch ot anything which make this CPU compatible with my motherboard, please let me know.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you do everything I wrote above, your PC will run just fine, and at the processor's normal ratings.

No microcode error, no issues.

There is, and never will be any offical fix to the problem.

Intel claims the E7xxx processors are not supported at all on the 965 chipset, and HP has refused to fix the BIOS issue where the processor only runs at 1/2 speed.

But like I wrote yesterday, that utility I posted will fix the 1/2 speed issue.

And if you can enter those commands like they suggested at the bottom of the webpage to make the program start automatically once windows loads, you won't even have to be concerned with that either.

HP Recommended

I tried your solution, but it ended with this error: Your microcode update module could not be programmed.

Again> any unofficial solution anyone knows? too curious to run this CPU on this motherboard.

HP Recommended

You may need to reinstall the original processor to run the microcode update and then reinstall your new one.

You can see this post below where my method worked for two other forum members with the dc7700, and they used the same microcode update file as the one I gave you (sp51243). 

The dc7700 is of the same BIOS family as the dc5700.

Why that didn't work for you, I have no idea, so you may want to try it with the original processor installed.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/invalid-processor-microcode-updat...

HP Recommended

I'll try soon, and report.

HP Recommended

Thanks  P

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Did you install that utility on the link I posted to ramp up the multiplier to its max?

Did you update the BIOS to the latest version?

The BIOS update might help with the fan issue.

It is easier to update the BIOS than the microcode, and you don't have to be in Windows to do it.

But in order to give you the right BIOS files you need, I need to know what version of the BIOS your PC is currently running.

There are two different BIOS upgrade paths--vPro and non-VPro, so if you let me know the version currently installed, I can attach the right files for you to update the BIOS.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.