Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 750-170se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product Number: T4A40AAT#ABA

There are 2 x HMDI ports on my machine and neither are working, how do I make them work so I can use to connect additiuonal monitors?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@TexasAussie

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I understand 2 of your HDMI ports aren't working,

No worries as I'd love to help, however, I need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

You are attempting to set up a dual display, is that right?

Did you ensure your computer/graphics card supports dual display?

Have you checked your user guide for details about the same? 
Also does the HDMI port work with one monitor at a time, one each?
if it doesn't, please follow the below steps:

Use the correct HDMI cable for your HDMI device

Most HDTV devices have more than one HDMI input port, therefore it is very important that the HDMI display's input source is set to the same HDMI port that is connected to your computer, for example HDMI 2 to HDMI 2.

If your computer and HDMI device use different cable types, you can purchase adapters. See Overview of HDMI and DVI Connections for PCs for more information.

Select HDMI sound output as the default audio device

Windows outputs sound to only one device at a time. Select the desired output device by setting the default device. The sound then changes to the correct devices as cables are connected or disconnected. When switching between the sound on the computer and the sound on an external monitor or TV, open the sound devices to ensure the correct output device is selected.

If the device has not already been configured, the HDMI output does not display in the sound properties unless an HDMI cable is connected between an HDMI device and the HDMI port on the computer.

Use the steps below to configure the audio output when an HDMI cable is connected. This will allow you to select HDMI as the default when you are using an HDMI connection. When you are not using an HDMI connection, the sound settings default to your computer's speakers and headphones.

1. Connect the HDMI cable to your computer and to your output device.

2. Right-click the Volume icon  on the taskbar.

3. Click Playback Devices.

The Sound window opens.

4. On the Playback tab, select Speakers and Headphones, and then click Set Default.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS AND STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.