Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion P6720F.  The motherboard is a N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX with a 24 pin ATX connector.  The power supply that came with this computer has a 20 pin connector.  The power supply i want to upgrade to is the Xigmatek NRP-MC851 (850 watts).

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/634/pg1/xigmatek-nrp-mc851-power-supply-introduction.html

This power supply offers a 20+4 connector so I can connect all 24 pins with this unit or leave it at 20 pins.  Which is preferable for this motherboard?

Btw,

1) I am a gamer.

2) I will be upgrading to a Nvidia GTX570 HD graphics card.

3) The physical size of this PSU fits my case with room to spare.

4) This PSU comes with (2) PCIE dedicated 6 pin connectors and a spare (2) more for SLI (I won't be using)

5) With the extra power I can add as many fans as I want or go water-cooled.

6) System: CPU-AMD Phenom II x4 840T, 6 G ram, 1T HD, Optical drive, Integrated ATI 4200, 250 watt power.

7) Windows 7 / 64

My system: HP Pavilion P6720F
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02628244&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en〈=en&lc=en&product=5049516#N1178
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Jeb101 wrote: I have a HP Pavilion P6720F.  The motherboard is a N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX with a 24 pin ATX connector.  The power supply that came with this computer has a 20 pin connector.  The power supply i want to upgrade to is the Xigmatek NRP-MC851 (850 watts). http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/634/pg1/xigmatek-nrp-mc851-power-supply-introduction.html This power supply offers a 20+4 connector so I can connect all 24 pins with this unit or leave it at 20 pins.  Which is preferable for this motherboard?

Btw,

1) I am a gamer.

4) This PSU comes with (2) PCIE dedicated 6 pin connectors and a spare (2) more for SLI (I won't be using)

6) System: CPU-AMD Phenom II x4 840T, 6 G ram, 1T HD, Optical drive, Integrated ATI 4200, 250 watt power.

7) Windows 7 / 64

Hello Jeb101, You should install the 24 pin power supply connector to the motherboard. The other 4 pins are used for additional power for the motherboard.

Here  is the link for the specifications and a photo of the motherboard for your system.

The 850 watt power suppy should more than meet the requirements of the system with the upgrades you would be installing.

Adding case fans to your system should help with the air flow through the system, but you should be aware that you would need to power these additional fans from the12 volt leads from the power supply, and do not connect any of them to the motherboard fan headers.

These headers have a maximum current rating for just one case fan, and connecting more case fan could possibly damage the motherboard.

It is also possible to have too many fans installed in the case. At some point, too many fans will provide no more air flow than just a few, while increasing the noise level..

I had a server at one point that had 6 hard drives installed, so I assumed I needed all the fans I could install in the server case. I installed twelve 80mm  case fans. The server sounded like a 747 at take off.

I monitored the temps. and started removing the fans one at a time, and continued to monitor the temps. After I removed 6 of the 12 fans, my temps remained the same. Only when I removed the 7th fan did my temps started to increase. I reinstalled the last removed fan and the temps dropped, as well as the 747 take of noise.

Just some thoughts.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Jeb101 wrote: I have a HP Pavilion P6720F.  The motherboard is a N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX with a 24 pin ATX connector.  The power supply that came with this computer has a 20 pin connector.  The power supply i want to upgrade to is the Xigmatek NRP-MC851 (850 watts). http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/634/pg1/xigmatek-nrp-mc851-power-supply-introduction.html This power supply offers a 20+4 connector so I can connect all 24 pins with this unit or leave it at 20 pins.  Which is preferable for this motherboard?

Btw,

1) I am a gamer.

7) Windows 7 / 64

Hello Jeb101, You should install the 24 pin power supply connector to the motherboard. The other 4 pins are used for additional power for the motherboard.

Here  is the link for the specifications and a photo of the motherboard for your system.

The 850 watt power suppy should more than meet the requirements of the system with the upgrades you would be installing.

Adding case fans to your system should help with the air flow through the system, but you should be aware that you would need to power these additional fans from the12 volt leads from the power supply, and do not connect any of them to the motherboard fan headers.

These headers have a maximum current rating for just one case fan, and connecting more case fan could possibly damage the motherboard.

It is also possible to have too many fans installed in the case. At some point, too many fans will provide no more air flow than just a few, while increasing the noise level..

I had a server at one point that had 6 hard drives installed, so I assumed I needed all the fans I could install in the server case. I installed twelve 80mm  case fans. The server sounded like a 747 at take off.

I monitored the temps. and started removing the fans one at a time, and continued to monitor the temps. After I removed 6 of the 12 fans, my temps remained the same. Only when I removed the 7th fan did my temps started to increase. I reinstalled the last removed fan and the temps dropped, as well as the 747 take of noise.

Just some thoughts.

HP Recommended

Hanspuppa wrote... "Hello Jeb101, You mentioned that the HP power supply does not have the 24 pin power supply, but it actually does."

Hanspuppa,

I have a p7-1026 and a p6787c, both of which came with Bestec PSU model# atx-250-12z rev d7r. I also have an a1632x that came with the same/similar PSU. HP p/n is 5188-2622 and it looks like this. All three HP PSU's have 20pin motherboard power connectors. All three motherboards have a 24pin connector. I far as I can tell the 250watt HP PSU's don't have a 24pin connector and the motherboards don't require it to operate.

Frank

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Hmm, ...I bought the computer from a national store chain that carries your brand.  Maybe they changed the PSU to a 20 pin?  Who knows but I definitely have a PSU with a 20 pin connector that came with this computer.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  I'll use all 24 pins with the new PSU.

Also, thanks for the fan history lesson, ...it not only was interesting learning from somebody else's mistake but it is selling me on water-cooling the video card to keep the heat down in the case.  I figure if I just water-cool the video card then the CPU fan will still help cool the other MB components.

Thanks,

Jeb

My system: HP Pavilion P6720F
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02628244&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en〈=en&lc=en&product=5049516#N1178
HP Recommended

lasvegaswireman wrote: Hanspuppa wrote... "Hello Jeb101, You mentioned that the HP power supply does not have the 24 pin power supply, but it actually does."

Hanspuppa,

I have a p7-1026 and a p6787c, both of which came with Bestec PSU model# atx-250-12z rev d7r. I also have an a1632x that came with the same/similar PSU. HP p/n is 5188-2622 and it looks like this. All three HP PSU's have 20pin motherboard power connectors. All three motherboards have a 24pin connector. I far as I can tell the 250watt HP PSU's don't have a 24pin connector and the motherboards don't require it to operate.

Frank

Hello lasvegaswireman, I am extremely happy you cleared this erroneous information up that I posted.

I also appreciate the RED text, so that all can see that you found some Member made a 'Mistake".

I got this information from an unreliable source. I am now sorry that I even tried to help with the issue.

I seem to be more of a distraction than a help. Since you seem to know more about these kinds of things, I will just let you reply to the Members request.

These motherboards apparently do not require the 24 pin connector, but you can be assured if the Member upgrades his system with all the components he mentioned, this motherboard will not survive long without the 24 pin connector.

Thanks again for clarifing the mistake, and sharing your expertise with all that care to know what you appear to want to share with us.

HP Recommended

Hanspuppa,

I wasn't using the red to show a mistake. I often times use red to show the infomation I am responding to and black/purple/blue for the response. You are a definate asset here and I am not trying to diminish your word. I was just clarifying the 20/24pin thing based on my first hand knowledge. You are very correct in stating that the OP should use the 24pin setup with the new PSU to eliminate any potential issues.

Frank

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.