Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z400 Gen 2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good morning,

I upgraded the CPU and memory of  my Z400; can't achieve the desired results and introduced errors I can't seem to correct.    

Processor upgrade:  From     Intel W3520                               to    Intel W3670

Memory:                        From    4-2gb DIMMs - 8gb (OEM)     to    6-4gb DIMMs (PNY DDR3, 1600MHz(PC3-12800),

CAS Latency 11, 1.5V

I believe I performed the upgrade as outlined in the HP-Z400 Maintenance & User's Manual.  

At boot, I received the following error messages

• 209 Memory Warning Condition (WARN_DQS_Test) detected, Slot CPU0, DIMM3
  • 209 Memory Warning Condition (WARN_DQS_Test) detected, Slot CPU0, DIMM4
  • 209 (rd dq dqs) detected Slot CPU0 DIMM3
  • 203 Memory module failed self-test and failing rank was disabled, Slot CPU0, DIMM3 
  • 204 Memory module failed and user rank disabled slot CPU0, DIMM4

24gb installed (16gb usable)

Trouble shooting:

• I substituted the 4gb DIMMs located in DIMM3 & DIMM 4 with cards I had originally had in slots DIMM5 and DIMM6 where no errors were reported.    I received the same 5 error messages regarding DIMM3 and DIMM4.
  • I re-installed 4 of the 6-4gb memory cards into slots 1,3,5,2.  - and received the DIMM3 error message as provided above and the summary, "16gb installed (12gb usable)  
  • I replaced the 6-4gb DIMMs with the 4-2gb OEM DIMMs and again received DIMM3 error messages.  
  • I replaced the 4-2gb OEM DIMM cards with 4 of the 4gb DIMM cards.  I installed them in slots 1,2,5,6. This is contrary to:  HP Z400 Workstation Memory notice - Configuration and optimization (June 2010)
  • However, the system boots without an error message and shows 16gb usable.
  • I have been reluctant to replace the newly installed W3670 with the originally installed W3520.  

Questions:

• What has caused this condition?
  • Is there a way to install all 6-4gb memory cards, thus achieving a system with 24gb?.  
  • If not, should I install the 4-4gb cards in slots 1,2,3,5 as directed by the bulletin?  Is there a way to install in slots 1,2,3,5 without receiving the error message and use all 16gb.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

John

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Just how did you determine that PNY memory was correct?     The errors you describe (203/4  and 209) reflect defective, or improper, or worse, an incorrect type.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Good morning,

Thanks for getting back.  

Reference your questions:

• The PNY were listed as compatible - I realized they were not certified by HP.  However, I knew HP didn't have the time to certify all brands and PNY was a recognized name.
  • However, I did think of your question about "correct memory" as I was attempting to troubleshoot.  I conducted a few tests that suggested that wasn't' the problem;
    • I only received the 203/204 messages (in fact all of the error messages) for the memory installed in DIMM slots 3 & 4.  The same PNY memory was installed in all 6 DIMM slots. This was true even when I moved the memory cards from DIMM slots 4 & 5 which showed no problem.  
    • After I got the error messages the second time, I re-installed the 2gb HP memory back into the machine.  I still received the same 203/204 error messages for DIMM slot 3.  (I only had 4-2gb memory cards and I installed them into DIMM slots 1,3,5,2  according to the HP Bulletin entitled HP Z400 Workstation Memory configuration and optimization (June 2010) - 4AA1-1503ENW June 2010. 
    • The machine is now running with PNY memory cards in slots 1,2,5,6.  The config reports 16gb installed.
  • I didn't believe I could have done something to damage the machine.  That was why I wanted to involve the community.

I would be interested in your thoughts about the test, etc.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

John - Screen name Wareham.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.