Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570-p075na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi - I bought a 570-p075na from John Lewis because it seemed like a decent spec machine to start from. I swapped the 3TB HDD for a 500 GB SSD and attached the original HDD externally via USB3, but I wondered if it's possible/easy to have both drives inside the machine? The ribbon cable seems to have a connector halfway along it but there's no spare power connector that I can see. Similar machines seem to ship with both an HDD and an SSD inside, so can I do this - and would I get any performance benefit having the 2nd disk inside rather than external via USB3?

The link to my machine is https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-pavilion-570-p075na-desktop-pc-intel-core-i7-16gb-ram-3tb-amd-radeon-r5...

I think it's also this one http://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/HP-Pavilion-570-p000-Desktop-PC-series/13823514/model/15532149/d...

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@W1tchseason,

Your excellent links were insightful. The link to the specs rendered a pic of the motherboard.

You can not add the 2nd hard drive internally because:

1) The motherboard only has 2 SATA headers, 1 Hard drive, 1 DVD drive.  You could pull out the DVD drive, and use that header. 2) That model only has a single slot,  and that PCIE slot is presently occupied by your graphic card.

Using a USB 3.0 external dock is your only option.  Sent you a PM.

Lubin MB.JPG

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@W1tchseason

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The lack of a power plug is easy to fix buy purchasing a Y-adapter that has one power plug on one end and two on the other.  This will provide a power plug for each drive.

As to connecting, the internal bus connection for the drive is a LOT faster than the external ports.  So yes, you will get much better performance if the drive is connected internally than externally.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@W1tchseason,

Your excellent links were insightful. The link to the specs rendered a pic of the motherboard.

You can not add the 2nd hard drive internally because:

1) The motherboard only has 2 SATA headers, 1 Hard drive, 1 DVD drive.  You could pull out the DVD drive, and use that header. 2) That model only has a single slot,  and that PCIE slot is presently occupied by your graphic card.

Using a USB 3.0 external dock is your only option.  Sent you a PM.

Lubin MB.JPG

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Couldnt you just fit an m.2 SSD and leave the HDD where it is? Clone the OS to the SSD to boot from and use the HDD as storage.

HP Recommended

@sniffer6,

The original inquiry was in March 2018. It's now 8 months later.  Why are you dredging up stale inquiries that the original OP will likely never view ?

Did you not read the original inquiry?

He wanted to internally  ADD  the hard drive.  If he had wanted to purchase an M.2 SSD, he would have stated so.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.