Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have 2 8100 Elite SFF PCs and the power supply fans are louder than the other 8100 Elite SFF PCs that we have.   Is there a driver that is needed to lower the noise of the power supply fans? 

I've tried swapping around the power supplies and the noise does not follow the fan but remains at the PC.  So I'm thinking that its a driver or BIOS update of some sort.  Can someone pinpoint which?  

Thanx,

AJWare

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi AJWare,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems. 😞

I'm not really an expert on this but I do have some suggestions.

I had a similar problem with my HP slim PC at home and one evening, the cpu fan became louder than it should.

I called HP support and they sent an engineer over to have a look. He checked the BIOS, cleaned the fan, disconnect the

fan, reconnect it and did a bunch of things which did nothing. After an hour, he decided to take it back to his shop and

test a bit more.

The funny thing is, we totally disconnected the PC (literally every wire) and before he was about to leave, we plugged

the power line to check one last thing. Right then, the fan became silent. We both don't understand why but somehow

disconnecting the whole PC for a few minutes to an hour and then plugging it back seems to do the trick.

Try this and see if it does the trick.

If that doesn't work, we'll need to go to the next step which would be looking into the BIOS system.

I've provided the link below that will help with your BIOS update. Hope this helps! 🙂

8100 Elite SFF Bios Update

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
I work for HP, supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others.
HP Recommended

KukiMonster,

I tried the all wire disconnect to the motherboard.  Still the same problem.  I've updated to the latest BIOS and I still have the same problem.  It's got to be the BIOS or motherboard on both machines.  With the HDD disconnected, I still get the noisy fan.   

Thanx,

AJWare

HP Recommended

AJWare,

Looks like the cause of your problem could be something different.

To not waste too much of your time, I strongly suggest that you contact HP and start a support case and have an

engineer take a look at it because it could be one of many reasons why it's causing so much noise.

Replacing it does not seem to always solve the problem. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Here's the link to contact HP support and Service center.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/store-finder/find.do?bs=SR4&type=authorized

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
I work for HP, supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.