Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6 2330

I want to upgrade the cpu that came with my HP Pavilion p6 2330 to an AMD Athlon X4 760k, but I read on Amazon that the fan/heatsink that comes with it isn't compatible with my computer. Can someone please recommend me a cheap-ish fan/heatsink that's compatible with my computer?

Does it have anything to do with the stock fan/heatsink currently in my computer being 95w and the fan/heatsink in the AMD 760k I'm planning to get being 100w? Please help me understand. I'm a little lost here...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Jodie007,

I'm glad my assistance was useful!

Also, To make this solution helpful to others, please click on "Accepted as Solution".

Have a good day!
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Jodie007

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service! 🙂

I understand that you want to upgrade the CPU and are concerned about the heat sink/ fan compatibility.

I looked around, did some research and here is the detailed analysis of both your CPU & the one you are looking to upgrade: http://hp.care/2bDTo6d (heatsink/Fan used on both CPU's are similar).

Also, personally I wouldn't upgrade the CPU as it's known to cause functional failures as all hp computers are manufactured at its optimal performance and h/w changes as such would void the HP warranty.

Although! if you wish to go ahead, ensure you go through that list.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for answering! So are you saying that if I were to go ahead and upgrade to the AMD 760k I wouldn't need to install a new fan/heatsink?

But if I wanted to go ahead and install a new fan/heatsink anyway, is there one you could recommend to me that's smaller than the 212 evo that i've read nice things about, but is just as good as it for around the same price? I need one that'll fit in the case of my computer. 

I looked up the case info on this  page and it said this: 

Computer Case

Mini-tower
  • Height: 36.8 cm (14.4 inches)

• Width: 16.5 cm (6.4 inches)

• Depth: 38.9 cm (15.3 inches)

• Weight: 8 Kg (17.6 lbs) - without packaging

HP Recommended

@Jodie007, that's correct according to the comparison link I had provided yesterday!

If you still wish to upgrade the fan, I would suggest you take your computer to any of your local Technicians and have them install it, so it fits right in & you wouldn't have to go back and forth if it doesn't, just to be on a safer side, since HP doesn't cover any damages that may occur while upgrading the CPU as I mentioned before.

Keep me posted, though!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@Jodie007, that's correct according to the comparison link I had provided yesterday!

If you still wish to upgrade the fan, I would suggest you take your computer to any of your local Technicians and have them install it, so it fits right in & you wouldn't have to go back and forth if it doesn't, just to be on a safer side, since HP doesn't cover any damages that may occur while upgrading the CPU as I mentioned before.

Keep me posted, though!

Thanks for all your help, @Jodie007! I've decided to wait a bit on getting a new fan, but I'm still going to go ahead and upgrade to the AMD 760k. And I'll definitely keep you posted! :generic:

HP Recommended

Hi @Jodie007,

I'm glad my assistance was useful!

Also, To make this solution helpful to others, please click on "Accepted as Solution".

Have a good day!
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.