Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 6005-T
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

this model is the full size PC 6005-T and i'd love to put my amd ahtlon x6 1090t in it. i know there could be an issue if it doesn't FIT because of 938 vs 939 pins so i'd be careful to see that it does, and maybe a wattage issue of 95w(?) but i'm wondering if anyone could tell me if an x6 can work since so many x4s do. it's the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition (3.2GHz) which uses 104 vs 92 watts idle(?) according to some site. apparently it's 125 watt TDP.

thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

AMD Black Edition CPUs are generally not supported by motherboards of manufactured desktop PCs with AMD platforms. The BIOS support just isn't there. 

The same thing applies when someone is considering using an Intel Extreme CPU for a desktop with an Intel platform.

The motherboard does  support socket AM3 CPU's, but not all of them.

See the list of compatible AMD CPUs for your desktop's motherboard at the following web document from HP.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01864939

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

AMD Black Edition CPUs are generally not supported by motherboards of manufactured desktop PCs with AMD platforms. The BIOS support just isn't there. 

The same thing applies when someone is considering using an Intel Extreme CPU for a desktop with an Intel platform.

The motherboard does  support socket AM3 CPU's, but not all of them.

See the list of compatible AMD CPUs for your desktop's motherboard at the following web document from HP.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01864939

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.