Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
490 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am going to buy a 490 G3. It comes from the factory with a preinstalled Windows 7 on a SATA HDD; it also provides a Windows 10 license and installation media set. I'd like to install a bootable SSD with Windows 10, to speed up the operating system, and 1 would use the original 1Tb disk as data storage. Will I be able to install Windows 10 on new SSD directly from the provided media set? Or I will have to migrate the preinstalled operating system from the old disk to the new SSD, and then I will be able to upgrade to Win 10?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

so... The HP 490 G3 arrived with Win 7 on a 1Tb hard disk and a Win 10 installation DVD.  I installed a new 240Gb SSD and Win 10 on it; the 1Tb hd was formatted for data storage. It's all right.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

M4R10

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Personally, I would advise strongly AGAINST upgrading from Win7 to Win10.  Win7 PCs do not fare will with the Win10 Upgrades do mostly to the lack of HP Win10 drivers.

If you provide the detailed product number of the PC you plan to buy, we can see if HP carries Win10 drivers for it.

As to the SSD migration, you will NOT be able to copy the HDD to the SSD unless you buy an SSD with at least the same capacity as the HDD, and those tend to be very expensive.

However, if you shrink down the size of the OS partition on the HDD such that the sum of ALL the partitions fit easily on an SSD, then you can use Macrium Reflect to "clone" those partitions from the HDD to the SSD:

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Connect the new drive to the PC using a USB drive adapter
3) Follow the instructions in this link: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk
4) Shutdown the PC when done
5) Swap the drives and reboot the PC.

You should boot from the new drive without any problems.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

WAWood wrote:

>Personally, I would advise strongly AGAINST upgrading from Win7

>to Win10.  Win7 PCs do not fare will with the Win10 Upgrades do

>mostly to the lack of HP Win10 drivers.

As I said in my previous message, the HP 490 G3 (product number P5K13EA) comes with both Win 7 and Win 10 licenses. Only one of the two licenses is allowed to be used, I have to choose whether to use the preinstalled Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 10.  I would like to use Win 10 installed on a new SSD.

I know perfectly the missing HP Win10 drivers issue, I upgraded to Windows10 an HPE Pavillon model h8-1151it and I lost the ability to use Beats for audio control. But I hope this is not the problem since the 490 G3 is supplied by the factory with a Win 10 license and installation tool.

>As to the SSD migration, you will NOT be able to copy the

>HDD to the SSD

I would like to know if the Windows 10 installation media that come with the computer allows a clean installation of the operating system. This would be great, I could install the new operating system directly on the new disc; otherwise I should perform the complex tasks that you have explained so well (but you also wished me "good luck"...)

Thanks

HP Recommended

so... The HP 490 G3 arrived with Win 7 on a 1Tb hard disk and a Win 10 installation DVD.  I installed a new 240Gb SSD and Win 10 on it; the 1Tb hd was formatted for data storage. It's all right.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.