Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP HPE Pavilion h8-1375ea
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am considering changing from the noisy (continually chirruping) 3TB  Hitachi HDD fitted as standard in my  system and install two 480/500 GB SSDs - probably Sandisk or Kingston.  One will be the master (OS and data) the other will purely be a weekly 'clone' of the master.

The mobo in my rig is the Pegatron Formosa which, as far as I can see, only has SATA 2 ports fitted.  To makethe most of the SSD's speed I need to use SATA 3, 6GBs.

Can anyone advise as to the best, reasonably priced, good performance SATA 3, 4 port (I might consider 2 port) PCI-e Controller Card that will fit my system.  I do not need RAID or Hyper Duo.

Many thanks.

Ken.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Ken,

I am not sure what you mean by adding 3 SATA ports.  The Formosa motherboard does have six SATA ports.

Formosa motherboard.jpg

HP has never acknowledged the documention that indicates that the four grouped SATA ports are 3.0 or 6.0 Gb/s. However, the Z75 chipset should be able to support up to six SATA III ports.  If you have an IVY bridge processor then you should be able to test the port speed by using a SATA III HD or SSD.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi Ken,

I am not sure what you mean by adding 3 SATA ports.  The Formosa motherboard does have six SATA ports.

Formosa motherboard.jpg

HP has never acknowledged the documention that indicates that the four grouped SATA ports are 3.0 or 6.0 Gb/s. However, the Z75 chipset should be able to support up to six SATA III ports.  If you have an IVY bridge processor then you should be able to test the port speed by using a SATA III HD or SSD.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks, Dave.

The documentation I had access to only referred to SATA Ports and gave the impression that they were not SATA 3.   My CPU is Ivy Bridge, i7-3770, socket 1155 LGA which fits in with your reply.

Your answer has cleared thnigs up nicely for me.

Thanks again.

Ken Lines.

HP Recommended

The image of the board in this post indicates that ports 5 and 6 are Sata III ports.  The site below indicates its ports 1 and 2.  I ca't get either to perform above 3 mbs on my newly installed Samsung EVO 860 SSD.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03132942

6x SATA 2.0 connectors (SATA 0 - 1 @ 6 Gb/s, SATA 2 -5 @ 3 Gb/s)

ANy suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.