Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I have purchased the ProDesk 600 SFF. I want to add an SSD in the 2.5" bay and retain the 3.5" hard drive.

In reading the service manual regarding installing a 2.5" drive, page 121 says "Install four black and blue M3 isolation mounting guide screws." 

The manual says: 

"NOTE: M3 metric isolation mounting guide screws can be purchased from HP."

Questions regarding adding the 2.5" to a ProDesk 600

1. How do I purchase these from HP?

2. Are the threads of these screws consistent with most SSD's, specifically Samsung?  I have read conflicting info on the web (wow, conflicting info on the web? That's shocking!!)

3. If HP's screws are somehow proprietary, what screws can be used with off-the-shelf SSD's (thread and length, please)?  ( I'd be happy to buy one of the SSD's that HP sells on their website, but their prices aren't consistent with other currently available units by a factor of at least 50%) 

Thanks in advance for suggestions/answers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok. 

SSD drives are shockproof. That makes them very unlike electromagnetic legacy hard disks, which can be destroyed easily by being bumped or dropped.  That is why many people just use double sided tape.  This is an Occam's razor solution.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Your small form factor desktop PC does not have much in the way of extra space so you will have to be inventive. The simplest method wil be to use double sided tape and just to put the drive in a location where it won't touch anything electrical. You may need and adapter to connect power to the SSD. 

There won't be room in the 3.5" bay with the original spinner hard disk installed.

You can, optionally, remove the DVD drive and put the SSD in that space with a small piece of double sided tape to secure. Most SSD makers sell adapters that enable you to put the 2.5" SSD in a 3.5" bay. Since the 2.5" SSD devices are so thin and light, that would seem to be overkill.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for your rapid response...the SFF actually has a 2.5" bay under the slim optical drive.

The challenge is that it requires very specific screws to mount the drive, something HP calls " M3 metric isolation mounting guide screws." In a private message I've learned where to call to inquire of HP Parts. But info on the web is conflicting; it's not clear whether the screws are coarse or fine, which is an important distinction. Most off the shelf SSD's are fine thread, and if HP's are coarse, I am looking for a work around.

The manual I referenced is here:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/550220/Hewlett-Packard-Prodesk-600.html?page=92#manual

Thanks again for your reply.

HP Recommended

Ok. 

SSD drives are shockproof. That makes them very unlike electromagnetic legacy hard disks, which can be destroyed easily by being bumped or dropped.  That is why many people just use double sided tape.  This is an Occam's razor solution.

HP Recommended

Thanks...I agree that it (or velcro) is a fantastic solution!! And so obvious, I didn't think of it, so I really appreciate your quick reply.

HP Recommended

I just got 8 of those special SSD-compatible screws..... yes, they are M3 fine threads.  Standard hard drives all use #6 - 32 threads per inch (aka 6-32 machine screws), and the SSDs and optical drive screws are M3.

Why that was done I don't know, but that is the way it is.

So, the odd "slider' type of screw mounts that have a blue shock absorber, a silver slider, and black screw with big internal black washer as part of the assembly are for SSDs/optical drives, with M3 threading, and those are hard to find even on eBay.

For the hard drive slider mounts the screws and that washer are silver like with the slider part, and the bumper part is blue.  Those are 6-32.

HP Recommended

I found nice fitting M3 mounting screws on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SSD-BLACK-ISOLATION-MOUNTING-SCREWS-M3-for-HP-/191851923033

Now I have both my 2.5" SSD and facotry 3.5" drive mounted in the case of my ProDesk 600.

HP Recommended

Those scews are not for SFF drives. The SFF drives require M3 screw: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SSD-BLACK-ISOLATION-MOUNTI​NG-SCREWS-M3-for-HP-/191851923033

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.