Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion p6180t CTO Desktop PC

IPIEL-LA3 (Eureka3) motherboard

1* PCI Express x16 (2.0) slot
(Support Video Cards 2.0, 2.1)
3* PCI Express x1 slot

I bought a SATA III SSD, but my motherboard supports only SATA II. I'm considering buying a SATA III card ($20) to get the full SSD speed, however i'm not sure if my PCIe x1 slots are 1.0 (not worth getting the card) or 2.0 (worth getting the card). The specs from hp do not specify at all and the third party site only specifies for the PCIe x16 slot. 

Where or how can I find out if my PCIe x1 slots are 1.0 or 2.0 spec? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can download PC Wizard (it's a freebie) and get information on the PCI-E slots in your PC.  If you see a link speed of 2.5 GB/s then the speed is PCI-E version 1.

HP in the past has not posted specifications for the PCI-E slots.  I have noticed on some of the newer models that the slot specifications have been posted. 

PCI-E version 1 will top out at 250 MB/s per lane and version 2 at 500 MB/s per lane.  (each direction)

A SATA III SSD will be the area of 400-425 MB/s sustained average on a SATA III controller.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Based on your information, the release date of your system, and some other information... all the slots are either 2.0 or 2.1 The major difference between a x1 and x16 slot is the number lanes that data travel on.

Frank

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can download PC Wizard (it's a freebie) and get information on the PCI-E slots in your PC.  If you see a link speed of 2.5 GB/s then the speed is PCI-E version 1.

HP in the past has not posted specifications for the PCI-E slots.  I have noticed on some of the newer models that the slot specifications have been posted. 

PCI-E version 1 will top out at 250 MB/s per lane and version 2 at 500 MB/s per lane.  (each direction)

A SATA III SSD will be the area of 400-425 MB/s sustained average on a SATA III controller.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Unfortunately the program tested the x1 slots at version 1 (2.5gb/s), while the x16 was version 2. Thanks for the help!

Bus PCI-Express :

Device : 4 Series Chipset PCIe Port 1

Version : 2.0 Port : 2

Physical Slot : #0 Slot

Populated : Yes

Link Width : x16 (max. x16)

Bus PCI-Express :

Device : 82801J (ICH10) PCIe Port 1

Version : 1.0 Port : 1

Physical Slot : #0

Slot Populated : No

Link Width : max. x1

Link Speed : 2.5GB/s

Bus PCI-Express :

Device : 82801J (ICH10) PCIe Port 6

Version : 1.0

Port : 6

Physical Slot : #0

Slot Populated : Yes

Link Width : x1 (max. x1)

Link Speed : 2.5GB/s

HP Recommended

Thanks for this utility. 

But it's a bit difficult to find the information I am looking for on it, the PC Wizard 2012.  I had to on the left panel under the Hardware, click on the Mainboard icon.  Then on the right panel click on Bus PCI-Express icon.  Then on the bottom panel shows the PCI express version and the bandwidth.  Unfortunatly my PCI express x1 is version 1.0 with 2.5 GB/s bandwidth. Maybe not worth getting SATA III PCI card.

HP Recommended

I hope that you don't mind my asking similar questions here.

I got a HP dc7900 before and consider buying a HP Compaq 8300 Elite business PC.  What are the versions of the PCI-e slots for these systems?  I got a PCI-e card which requires PCI-e 2.0.  So I need to know if the slots are new enough for my card.  Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

Hi yscheung. There are several different models of the HP Compaq 8300 Elite.
To get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since this is a commercial product. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/ .

Here were the available selections.
HP Compaq Elite 8300  - Select a product or category from the list below
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&tool=&query=HP+Compaq+8300+Elite+busin...

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  Acutally I posted the question to HP and got an acknowledgement E-mail saying that someone would contact me.  But I haven't got further reply since then.  Thank you all the same.  I'll check out the links you suggested.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.