Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP envy 750
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have new Envy 750-150xt to which I would like to add my 640 GB SATA drive from by old Pavilion 6380.  Drive from 6380 was only drive and the boot drive running Windows 7 64 bit.  Envy has a 256GB SSD as boot drive  and a 1 TB HD data drive.

Pulled drive out of 6380 and added it to third drive bay, hooked up a new black SATA cable to "SATA3" on MB and then provided power cable to drive.  Noticed in passing that my SATA cable did not have a ground wire wrapped with it that was tied to frame of new PC. 

On turning on the PC, it would not go beyond the HP splash screen.   Disconnected old drive and removed it, and the Envy 150 booted fine except the opening screen "shredded" for 1-2 seconds, then stablized.  Seems to be running normally. 

FYI - SATA3 socket on MB was a red versus black socket and only available SATA labeled sockets.  Others were all occupied.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So what is the CD drive plugged into? Must be SATA 2. If it jumps from SATA 1 to SATA 3 something should be available there. The issue is not just the availability of a place to plug it in, it is that software has advanced from where you were with that drive and Windows 8/10 uses a whole different way to find and boot from hard drives. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Likely an issue with Secure/UEFI boot. The old Windows 7 drive is almost certainly partitioned with the old MBR system and was bootable in legacy boot and the new computer is set to use Secure boot and UEFI boot so needs drives to be partitioned using the GUID system. Try hooking it up and go into the boot menu and see if it is there. Since you will not be booting from it you can exclude it from the boot order or set the system not to use hybrid or dual boot but UEFI boot only.

At least please enter the BIOS (F10) and see how it is set to boot and if the 640 gig drive is showing up. Let us know.  

HP Recommended

Thanks for your comments, but I would ask that you give me a bit more direction.

From your comments, I assume when I get the HP spash screen you want me to hit F10 and see if the drive is showing up.  Sorry, but need some additonal details such as how do I get it in/out of boot list, etc.

Sorry, you got a novice.

HP Recommended

Further to the above note.

Without the old SATA installed, I went into the F10 screen and found  this:

SATA0  - SSD

SATA1  - 1 TB HD

SATA3  - CD R/W drive

Yet, recall that there is the empty SATA3, red available plug on the MB.

HP Recommended

So what is the CD drive plugged into? Must be SATA 2. If it jumps from SATA 1 to SATA 3 something should be available there. The issue is not just the availability of a place to plug it in, it is that software has advanced from where you were with that drive and Windows 8/10 uses a whole different way to find and boot from hard drives. 

HP Recommended

Problem solved!

Buried under the other cables is a SATA2 plug.   Plugged it in and all is fine.

SATA2 drive is identified and available.

Thanks for your assistance.

HP Recommended

I know this is an old post but did you buy the SATA cable or was it there? Did it have an extra ground wire that went to hard drive cage? Do the original SATA cables have an added ground wire?

thanks in advance

Tom
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.