Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have read the instructions on how to update the BIOS, but when I enter the BIOS, it will not allow me to actually change any of the memory settings.  

The BIOS lists the four RAM memory banks, and it lists their speed at 1333 mhz.  I need to update this to 1600 mhz.  

However, the only option I have is to "press any key to continue."  

HP Pavilion p6 2330

16 mb RAM

4 banks set at 1333 mhz < -----  needs to be 1600 mhz

BIOS AMI 8.08

(I have the correct RAM.  In fact, the computer came preset at 1333 even though the the OEM 6 mb RAM is 1600.  Pretty ridiculous default setting.)

I hit F10

Enter BIOS

Although the system information lists all the information about the system, including the memory, there is NO option to change anything.  Unless I want to change the boot order or implement password protection, this BIOS is pretty useless.

I searched Pegatron MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine) to see if I could get a newer BIOS version that is actually useful, but there does not seem to be a Pegatron website.  No updates exist on HP.

Any assistance would be simply fantastic.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can have a racing car which can run at 200mph but the traffic rules only allow you to run at 70mph. What can you do ? You have to bring your car to racing tracks.

Hope this makes sense.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I will give you a diferrent perspective.

The limitatation can be one of two things which you cant change anyways.

1) The Northbridge chipset on the Mainboard can only work up to 1333 MHZ.

2) The CPU may only be able to control memory up to 1333 MHZ.

All factors must be realized in ram speed as these components all work together.

The manufacture probably got a suoer deal on those Ram modules and put them in

every machine they could. My Pavillion Notebook has the same issue.

No big deal though so dont worry yourself over it.

Hope you understand better.

One other thing, Ram Modules are usually rated higher than the system can handle.

Its been that way ever since I can remember.

HP Recommended

Hi,

That's my point and it's understandable because some vendors just lock the "over clock" away. They simply can not afford to have new machines return to base everyday due to "why my machine too hot blahh blahh". Gamers, overclokers DON'T buy brand machines, they build machines for themselve.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The HP specs page for this computer list the memory upgrade capabilities as

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Four 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
  • Supports DDR3 DIMMs

• PC3 10600 (1333 MHz)
  • PC3 12800 (1600 MHz)
  • PC3 14400 (1866 MHz)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB or 8 GB DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit* systems
Supports up to 32 GB on 64-bit systems

--------------------------------------------------

I have a 64-bit system, so the RAM quantity is okay up to 32 mb.  

I understand if the CPU limits the speed at 1333 mhz, but I think it's a safe assumption that if the specs for this particular machine allow a 1600 or even a 1866 mhz RAM upgrade that that it will work.  Otherwise, it's similar to saying the computer also supports an upgrade of a hat and pair of boots ... they're not compatible, but hey, you can dress it up anyway.

I have to think that the motherboard and the CPU should handle the 1600.  But as I'm upgrading the CPU anyway, we'll see what happens.

I shouldn't have to upgrade the motherboard to get the RAM to run at 1600.  

HP Recommended

My particular CPU is listed as follows:

3.6GHz clock and 65W TDP

AMD definitely has one thing Intel can’t compete with. They have superior integrated graphics and in the case of dual-core Trinity APUs, the graphics core is about to get better. 

The plan is that in early Q3 AMD will launch a new CPU called A6 5400K, an unlocked 3.6GHz dual-core that can get to 3.8GHz with turbo. The GPU of choice that gets integrated in the same core is HD 7540D and of course it’s a DirectX 11 compatible part derived from the mobile Southern Islands family. 

The new core has 65W TDP which is really nice for a standard desktop part, and the new graphics now has 192 shaders, 32 more than the dual-core Llano. The graphics core of A6 5400K works at 760MHz and the maximum memory speed supported is 1866MHz and let’s not forget that this processor supports dual graphics. 

The fastest Llano dual-core goes under the name A4 3420 works at 2.8GHz and has no turbo support, has the same 65W TDP and HD 6410D graphics from the previous Northern Islands generation. The new A6 5400K core should end up significantly faster due to its massive clock increase and better graphics. 

The problem, it seems, is the goDda3m$! BIOS.
HP Recommended

Hi,

The HP bios simulator shows 1600 mhz with two dimms installed (XMM3 and XMM4) running in single channel mode.  Very strange that HP would install dimms to operate in single channel mode  I believe that I saw another post out here where the same issue was posted.

Did you add dimms or did your PC come with four dimms?

There is a posted bios update that you might consider trying.

You might try the following:

1. Update the bios and reboot into the bios and see if the speed has changed.
  2. If no change, then remove the dimms from XM1 and XM2.
  3. Now clear the CMOS and reboot into the bios and check for a change.  1333 or 1600?
  4. Download CPU-Z to verify the channel operation (single?)

If the HP dimms support XMP then once the speed is set to 1600 then you might be good to go with installing the other two dimms.  Install the dimms one at a time then reboot and check the speed before installing the last dimm.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

The 1333 Mhz setting could be because that was the closest to the DIMM frequency where the motherboard was stable with the OEM memory modules during manufacturer's tests.

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I was online with HP live chat.  They said the computer should accept 1600 and automatically update the BIOS.  Like someone else here in this forum, they pointed me toward an updated BIOS download that failed to work, and that stumped them.  They escalated the case and are supposed to contact me today or tomorrow.  We'll see.

Thanks all.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.