Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion P7-1050t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have upgraded my Pavilion P7-1050t from a G620 to an i7-2600S processor with 8GB of ram. Next I want to upgrade to a dedicated video card and new power supply. The specs state a PCIe x16 expansion slot but does not mention 2.0 or 3.0. I want to make sure I get the best card that I can get maximum usage from. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Cgrech79, welcome to the forum.

Newer video cards require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard / Legacy BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid -October, 2012.  Your motherboard can't be upgraded to UEFI.  The last video cards that didn't require UEFI were the GT 640's.  The PCI Express slot is 1.0 unless it is specified otherwise.  The 2.0 and 3.0 are backward compatible.

I suggest that you determine which manufacturer's video card you want to buy and contact their Tech Support to help you choose the best card for your motherboard.

You will have to upgrade the power supply unit (PSU), also.  The current PSU is 250W.  Most of the newer cards require at least 400W to operate properly.  I like Corsair products.  I recommend that you buy a PSU with at least 500W.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Cgrech79, welcome to the forum.

Newer video cards require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard / Legacy BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid -October, 2012.  Your motherboard can't be upgraded to UEFI.  The last video cards that didn't require UEFI were the GT 640's.  The PCI Express slot is 1.0 unless it is specified otherwise.  The 2.0 and 3.0 are backward compatible.

I suggest that you determine which manufacturer's video card you want to buy and contact their Tech Support to help you choose the best card for your motherboard.

You will have to upgrade the power supply unit (PSU), also.  The current PSU is 250W.  Most of the newer cards require at least 400W to operate properly.  I like Corsair products.  I recommend that you buy a PSU with at least 500W.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.