Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z800
Other

Hi,

I'm testing some bios options with a 460838-001 Z800 motherboard.

I activated the compute option on all motherboard slots (pcie and pci) (it's a really bad idea)

After that i bricked the computer with the 6bip error (the motherboard can't recognize any videocard)

Anyway i make this because i think a clear CMOS will erase any modification...

Well i try to clear CMOS, unplug powercord, push one time the power button to clear any power, waiting a few minute then push CMOS button for 5 second, and the problem is the same.

After that i remove the motherboard and the CMOS battery, waiting for 1 night and the problem is the same.

At end i'll try with the crisis recovery jumper, burn a bios (3.57rA) on a CD-ROM the Z800 make 8 bip then the power button turn to blue and the CD-ROM spinup and i see activity for 30/45sec and after that nothing better....

In fact is there a way to reset the CMOS ? why the reset CMOS button not working ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Shazimy,

I use my old Matrox Millenium (from my personnal museum) for the pci slot, but my pci slot was bricked. ( i tested the card in another Z800 to be sure the card is working and this card work well in a Z800).

Then i use a HP Nvidia Quadro NVS290 i have one 16x pcie and one with 4x pcie.

I test a old Asus EN6200TC512/TD/256M (GeForce 6200) and this work too.

I test a HP Nvidia Quadro NVS295 and this work too.

You can use the 16x card in the first 4x slot it's ok, the slot is open at the end. (in fact you can use it in any pcie slot).

In my case the Z station bip correctly but i never get the video on the screen.

You must test all the slot to find if one of them was not bricked.

If you can get the video on screen go in bios setting and disable all compute parametre on all slot (if you don't use a tesla card.)

If the station beep correctly but if you have no video display you must execute the bios keyboard sequence blind fashion.

At this time i use a not bricked Z800 station to check the sequence. (this save my life) 😉

My sequence was :

On power up Press F10 and wait a few second for the SATA/SAS initialisation.

Press 4 time the right key (this will position you on the Advanced menu)

Press 7 time the down key (this will position you on the slot2 Pcie2 x16)

Press Enter (this wil open the slot2 Pcie2 x16 option)

Press 1 time the down key (this will position you on the Slot2 Compute option)

Press 1 time the right key (this will make the option to disable (if it's enable))

Press F10 (this will close the option windows)

Press F10 (this will position you on the "Save change and Exit")

Press Enter (and the Z station will reboot).

After that you can plug a videocard in the Slot2 and voila.

I hope you can debrick your Z station.

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

I solved my problem.

In fact the clear CMOS work but the compute parameter is not reset.

By the way i think i had switch to enable on all slot but i'm wrong, the first slot pcie 4x was ok.

I was able to plug a videocard in it and change the setting of all other slot.

Thank folks !

HP Recommended

Hello HPZ,

I have exactly the same issue and did what you did in setting and for recovery as well.

Can you tell me about the VGA that you have used.

Regards,

HP Recommended

Hi Shazimy,

I use my old Matrox Millenium (from my personnal museum) for the pci slot, but my pci slot was bricked. ( i tested the card in another Z800 to be sure the card is working and this card work well in a Z800).

Then i use a HP Nvidia Quadro NVS290 i have one 16x pcie and one with 4x pcie.

I test a old Asus EN6200TC512/TD/256M (GeForce 6200) and this work too.

I test a HP Nvidia Quadro NVS295 and this work too.

You can use the 16x card in the first 4x slot it's ok, the slot is open at the end. (in fact you can use it in any pcie slot).

In my case the Z station bip correctly but i never get the video on the screen.

You must test all the slot to find if one of them was not bricked.

If you can get the video on screen go in bios setting and disable all compute parametre on all slot (if you don't use a tesla card.)

If the station beep correctly but if you have no video display you must execute the bios keyboard sequence blind fashion.

At this time i use a not bricked Z800 station to check the sequence. (this save my life) 😉

My sequence was :

On power up Press F10 and wait a few second for the SATA/SAS initialisation.

Press 4 time the right key (this will position you on the Advanced menu)

Press 7 time the down key (this will position you on the slot2 Pcie2 x16)

Press Enter (this wil open the slot2 Pcie2 x16 option)

Press 1 time the down key (this will position you on the Slot2 Compute option)

Press 1 time the right key (this will make the option to disable (if it's enable))

Press F10 (this will close the option windows)

Press F10 (this will position you on the "Save change and Exit")

Press Enter (and the Z station will reboot).

After that you can plug a videocard in the Slot2 and voila.

I hope you can debrick your Z station.

Regards,

HP Recommended
This is a nice work around which may turn out to be a life saver for some of us.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.