Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 550-155l
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello, First I want to say sorry to HP if I violated the rules because I'm new here.

My problem is, I just got a new HP Pavilion 550-155l that have 4GB of RAM. Then, my friend gave me a stick of Kingston Fury X DDR3 1600Mhz which is 8GB to me. I decided to installed that RAM. Then when I open System Information, its said that I still have 4GB of ram (3.90 Usable). I was very confused so I went ahead and download CPU-Z to see if the RAM stick is working. And it is! it found my 8GB stick! And the memory tab said I have total of 12GB of RAM but why Windows said only 4GB (3.90 Usable)? Is there anything wrong? Please HELP! You guys can see the pictures for preferences.

P.S Sorry if my grammar is not very good. I'm not a native english speaker, I'm Thai.

This is the comparison b/w Windows System Information and CPU-Z.

Pic1.png

This is the HP provided RAM.

Pic2.png

This is the Kingston Fury X 8GB RAM

Pic3.png

Thank You for every answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Windows only sees 4GB because you have mixed module densities ( 4GB +8GB) and different manufacturer memory modules.

If you want to use more than 4 GB successfully, then purchase a pair of guaranteed compatible memory  modules and install them.

Make certain that you remove the other two modules before upgrading.

See the following URL for guaranteed compatible memory module. I used Crucial as an example. There are other manufacturers who guarantee their modules are compatible.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-550-150

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Windows only sees 4GB because you have mixed module densities ( 4GB +8GB) and different manufacturer memory modules.

If you want to use more than 4 GB successfully, then purchase a pair of guaranteed compatible memory  modules and install them.

Make certain that you remove the other two modules before upgrading.

See the following URL for guaranteed compatible memory module. I used Crucial as an example. There are other manufacturers who guarantee their modules are compatible.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-550-150

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Can I remove the huandyi RAM and use only the 8GB module?
HP Recommended

I would try it.  Put it in the slot the original memory was in.

Is it guaranteed compatible memory?

HP Recommended

I tried and the computer won't boot. I think its not compatible since it got 1.5V instead of 1.35V. Luckily my friend gave me the RAM, so I didn't lose any money. I have another question tough. I don't seem to get any sound from the audio jack of the computer (The headphones jack infront of the case and sound input behind the case) when I connect a speaker to it. But the sound came from the HDMI sound jack behind the moniter. How can I fix this because I can't use microphone because of this. Is there any problem with the sound card? Thanks for replying.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.