Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
CQ50-139WM notebook, has a celeron 575 socket p CPU, HP tech support was not very helpful and said that upgrading the CPU was not possible or recommended. The only thing I can find out about the MB is that it is a westin. Do not know FSB. I know HP would not use a MB that only accepts one CPU. The documentation that came with it lists 11 different intel processors from the celeron 575 to core 2 duo T9600. Does anyone know what options I have, with or without a BIOS update?
Regards, Ray
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended
The advice you received from HP tech support is correct.  Notebook CPUs are soldered to the motherboard and cannot be replaced except by an expert.
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

HP Recommended

My documentation shows a complete step by step dissasembly of notebook with pictures to access CPU and how to remove and install same, complete with pictures on how to onlock, lift out, line up and how to reinstall and lock in. Not soldered in.

Regards, Ray

HP Recommended

Download, install and run the free CPU-Z program.

It will give you all the info you need about your motherboard (and more) in order to help you determine what CPU upgrade path to take.

* If you found my answer helpful please give me a Kudo, Thanks!

HP Recommended

First thing is to update the bios.  This will allow you to go maximum cpu.  In the release notes, you will sometime see new microcode added, or new processors added.  This way you can tell if your notebook can use that processor you want.

You can change the cpu, not recommended, but requires lots of work and many screws.  I believe the cpu/heat sink is located on the bottom, not below the keyboard, which you will need to remove the entire motherboard to get to.  You can look at the spec on what you got, is it Intel or AMD?

HP Recommended

I just wanted to add my two cents since I couldn't find any information on CPU upgrades on this unit, nor could I find any evidence that any has tried and succeeded.

I successfully upgraded my CQ50-139WM CPU from a Intel Celeron M 575 to a Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T5550. Both are Socket P with a bus speed of 667 MHz. Vista discovered both cores just fine.

Take your time. You will have to fully disassemble the notebook, so please allow at least 5 hrs and probably more for the entire procedure if you're not familiar with taking laptops apart. I find it easiest to take pictures with a digital camera along the way to keep track of screws, connectors, etc.

I did a BIOS update prior to this CPU upgrade to v. F.36 A dated 4-2009.

HP Recommended
Check the TDP on the CPU you plan upgrading to. If its significantly higher, the relatively poor cooling in a laptop will mean it could overheat, and it will guzzle thru your battery
HP Recommended

I've worked with many mid-high end notebook PCs.  The CPUs are not soldered to the board.  The el-cheapo stuffs may use a BGA chip (ball grid array) for surface mount.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&SubCategory=759&N=2000340759&SpeTabStoreTy...

HP Recommended

@anon wrote:
Check the TDP on the CPU you plan upgrading to. If its significantly higher, the relatively poor cooling in a laptop will mean it could overheat, and it will guzzle thru your battery
Intel's Processor Finder utility <http://processorfinder.intel.com> is very useful for this.  It appears that most of Intel's 65nm mobile CPUs with the 667 mHz front-side bus speed have a TDP rating between 30 and 35 watts... just have to pay attention to the voltage specs, I suppose.

HP Recommended

bullcrap,i replaced mine with t 6670.they are just like pc just snap into socket.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.