Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

It seems there is more to the idea than originally posted.  First thing the add-on card is a SATA III controller card.  It does not have USB ports because the intent of the card is to add SATA III ports to an older standard motherboard.  You might be able to find a card that adds SATA III ports and USB 3.0 in the same card but I was not interested in that.  Another thing, the motherboard of the HPE-570t does not have USB 3.0 ports, so putting a USB 3.0 hub it the mix will not give USB 3.0 ports, unless a USB 3.0 add-on card is installed.  I assume since you are already using the WD Passport External 4TB, then it works to your satisfaction presently.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

No, the 4TB drive hasn't been unpacked from it's retail box yet.

I'm still trying to decide between 1 internal and 1 SSD or one internal and two externals (the OS goes on the SSD.) That way, if we lose power, all I lose is the OS, that I can reinstall from a backup. That's the theory, anyway.I'm fit to be tied.

What I'm thinking of doing is buying a 6 port card: meaning , two SATA 3 ports just like yours, plus it would have 4 3.0 USB ports, to plug in compatible devices.

Do you think a 1x card like that would work in my 570t?

Thanks in advance,

HP Recommended

That is a noble thinking and allot to expect from a single card, espeically using the USB 3.0 and the SATA III ports at the same time.  You might find one, however.  If you find one with both functions included and still can be used as a boot device, post back with the info.  I would be glad to look at it.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks...

I was thinking of this card,orthe 2 USB port version.

Here's the link to the 4 port USB version...

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-ASMedia-Chipset-Components-SD-PEX50064/dp/B00MVTB7Q4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie...

Chef_D

HP Recommended

I had looked at that card after our last discussion.  It needs a PCIxe X4 slot to perform at those sppeds for both functions.  The motherboard on the PC in question does not have any of those.  That was one of the reasons I posted "That is a noble thinking and allot to expect from a single card, espeically using the USB 3.0 and the SATA III ports at the same time. "  That will slow down the intended process of using the higher speed USB to SATA III ports to transfer data between the new harddrive and the USB 3.0 external.  It will still work, but at the slower speeds that PCIxe X1 can support.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Ok,thanks, I found the post with the original link.

How about using that card to gain the 2 SATA ports; and  this card to add USB 3.0 capability?

Would that work?

When I opened up the computer the other day, I noticed to get power to the card there were Molex plugs I could use. So what type of plug would I be looking for?

Thanks in advance,

Chef_D

HP Recommended

That could do the deed.  The motherboard does have 3-PCIxE slots, so it is more worthy than the other idea.

If you go through with the 2 separate cards, run some tests and then report back with the results, please.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I'm going to need a power connection (sata to molex,) question is, which one does it take?

Could you provide a link?

And finally, the card I linked, (the yellow one,) doesn't provide for SATA 3 ports, right? (That's why I would need to buy both cards..)

Thanks in advance,

Chef_D

HP Recommended

Yes, the USB 3.0 card needs a SATA power connection - Power Input: SATA Type Power Connector.  While the power jack not shown, I assume this to be what you are asking about:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200061&cm_re=SATA_power_to_molex-_-12-200-...

And correct -need to buy both cards because combo card needs a PCIxE x4 port to do both jobs at rated speed.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Ok, thanks for everything; I really appreciate it. (That should do it.)

Chef_D

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.