Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc7800

Hi,

Can I install SSD over  HP Compaq dc7800 Convertible Minitower PC?

Should I notice anything special when buying this SSD?

Do I need to by a "cage" for the SSD?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

One problem you will have is that there will be no SSD TRIM support on that model which means you won't be able to optimize the drive.

That is because the PC only has two drive controller settings...IDE and RAID.

TRIM support in RAID was not introduced by Intel until the series 7 chipsets came out.

Yours has a series 3 chipset.

That is the only reason I didn't put a SSD in my dc7800.

Another problem you may encounter is that my dc7800 rejected any sata III drives I installed unless it was a sata III drive that came with a HP PC.

I had to take the 1 TB SATA III drive out of my 8200 Elite CMT, and swap it with the one I bought for my dc7800 because it exhibited the symptoms listed in this HP bulletin below...

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3718645&calledBy=&ac.admitted=1379354458...

I initially thought the WD Caviar Black drive I bought was defective and I returned it.

When the replacement drive did the same thing, I realized there was some kind of compatibility issue and came across the above document.

Bottom line...I wouldn't do it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Do you mean in instead of over?

You can purchase an adapter which will let it fit in a 3.5" drive bay, but it isn't really necessary since it is pretty shock resistant due to the lack of moving parts. Some people simply use tape to hold an SSD in place.

What is the currently installed OS?

All you need is a standard SSD such as one that Corsair, Intel or Sansung mnufacture. Nothing special is required.

I highly recommend using a migration kit that is delivered with a USB to SATA cable and cloning software, such as  EZ Clone by Apricot software.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi:

One problem you will have is that there will be no SSD TRIM support on that model which means you won't be able to optimize the drive.

That is because the PC only has two drive controller settings...IDE and RAID.

TRIM support in RAID was not introduced by Intel until the series 7 chipsets came out.

Yours has a series 3 chipset.

That is the only reason I didn't put a SSD in my dc7800.

Another problem you may encounter is that my dc7800 rejected any sata III drives I installed unless it was a sata III drive that came with a HP PC.

I had to take the 1 TB SATA III drive out of my 8200 Elite CMT, and swap it with the one I bought for my dc7800 because it exhibited the symptoms listed in this HP bulletin below...

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3718645&calledBy=&ac.admitted=1379354458...

I initially thought the WD Caviar Black drive I bought was defective and I returned it.

When the replacement drive did the same thing, I realized there was some kind of compatibility issue and came across the above document.

Bottom line...I wouldn't do it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.