Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion 510-p114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Can I use the nvidia gtx 1080 in my computer
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@TRFCoast, welcome to the forum.

The major problem that you face is the wattage of the power supply unit (PSU).  It is only 180W.  The GTX 1080 requires a PSU with at least 500W.  It requires 180W to run properly.  Also, it requires an 8-pin supplementary power connector.  This means that you will have to upgrade the PSU to one with at least 600W.  You will have to measure the space where the PSU will be installed to assure that one will fit.  I like Corsair products.  A modular PSU is good for small cases.  You only have to use the cables that are absolutely necessary.

As for the video card fitting, you can measure from the Back I/O plate to the fron of the case to see if it will fit.  The card is 10.5" in length.  Here are the specificationf from nVidia's website:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080/

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended
What kind of graphics card do you recommend to run games like far cry
HP Recommended

@TRFCoast wrote:
What kind of graphics card do you recommend to run games like far cry

If you can upgrade the PSU to 550W/600W the GTX 1080 would be very good if it will fit.  Actually, any card from the GTX 750Ti and beyond would play FarCry and most of the newer games.

HP Recommended

Could i buy the 500w psu then buy a 960 instead and is there a way you could check and make sure it will all fit in my tower 

HP Recommended

@TRFCoast wrote:

Could i buy the 500w psu then buy a 960 instead and is there a way you could check and make sure it will all fit in my tower 

Yes, you can buy a 500W PSU and a 960.  However, you will have to choose a PSU and then locate the PSU in the case and make certain that there is space for the new one to fit.  The PSU should have the appropriate additional power connectors.  Also, measure the space where the video card will be installed as I suggested in my previous post.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.