Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 USDT
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

This is my first time on these forums, so I hope this is the right place to post this.  I'm trying to upgrade my work computer to Windows 10 Professional from Windows 7 Professional.  I work in IT, so I have full admin rights to do this.  However, when I try to run the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, it keeps telling me that I can't do so, and the display is the problem.  The message it gives is:

! Display: The display is not compatible with Windows 10.  Check the manufacturer for support.

I am currently using two monitors, a HP EliteDisplay E241i and a HP Compaq LA2405wg.  They both work just fine.  I've just went to HP's Support site and downloaded the latest drivers for both, and it still hasn't fixed the problem.  Can anyone please help me figure out why I can't upgrade?  The app only says it's not compatible, and offers no help or anything.  Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info ...

You're in luck -- in that HP does supply 32-bit drivers for some versions of Win7 for your PC.

This is the HP product page for your PC:  http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5387484&lang=en&cc=us

Select the OS version you are using.

Then, download and install the Graphics drivers.

Then, reboot.

IF all goes well, you should have full graphics capabilities after that.

However, I have upgraded several Win7 PCs to Win10, and with every one, some problem had to be solved -- so I wrote up this guide to help folks who are determined to do that upgrade ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to think about how much work you want to commit to just to run Win10.  Seriously. 

Older Win7 desktops tend to fare poorly when upgraded to Win10 -- primarily due to the lack of HP Win10 drivers for the older hardware.

If you are determined to upgrade to Win10, you must be prepared to do four things:
1) Make a complete image backup to external drive or large capacity USB stick,
2) Make changes to the reserved system partitioning scheme on your hard drive,
3) Use a different approach, and maybe more than one, than Windows Update to do the Upgrade,
4) Prepare for a clean-install.

---------------------------------

1: Image Backup:  
This is VITAL because the machine is likely to fail the upgrade, and when it does, you will learn that the Win10 GoBack function is NOT reliable, and that can leave you with a corrupted machine that will require factory reset, and losing everything on it, to get it working again.

You avoid this by making an image backup to an external drive or USB stick using Macrium Reflect (MR) which provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.
2: System Reserved Resizing:  
There is a small partition on the hard drive of Win7 preinstalled machines known as System Reserved.  This holds something known as the boot loader code.  It is 100MB in size -- all that is needed for Win7.  But Win10 needs 350MB, and, in some cases, is NOT able to resize this on its own.  IF that happens, you have to manually use a partitioning tool to resize it yourself.
3: Use a different Upgrade approach:  
Windows Update is the easiest, but least reliable, way to do the Win10 Upgrade.  A much better, and more reliable way, is to use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10   Choose the Upgrade this PC now option.

After all that, you need to know that MS installs drivers with only the most basic functionality.  Since HP does not have Win10 drivers for your PC, this limited functionality is the best you're going to get.  HP is not actively writing new Win10 drivers for the old Win7 PCs.  To retain full functionality of your PC, your best move is NOT to upgrade to Win10.
4: Prepare for clean-install:
If you do all this, and after the upgrade, your PC is only partially functioning, that means that the Upgrade did not go well and stuff is still there from the prior OS corrupting the functionality of Win10.

You MIGHT be able to fix this by doing a clean-install of Win10. Problem is that a clean-install often does not recognize the prior activation, even though it should. So, BEFORE you do the upgrade, follow these instructions from the community Win10 forums about creating a genuineticket.xml file:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-fi...

You will need this later to activate your Win10 pc after the clean-install.

-----------------------------------------------

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Berret

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Win10 upgrade appraisal tool does a really poor job of assessing the likelyhood of Win10 upgrades, especially with the older Win7 PCs.  I had it tell me two of my Win7 PCs were 100% compatible -- and the Upgrade trashed BOTH of them!

The problem is most likely the lack of Win10 HP drivers for your model PC.

There are four different models of your PC, so I only checked one for drivers, and the ONLY HP Win10 drivers available were for 64-bit, not 32-bit.

If that is the case with yours, the problem you're up against is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in your HP PC -- and unfortunately, there are no 32-bit HP Win10 drivers for your PC.

HP does not have any schedule indicating when, or IF, they will be producing drivers for the older machines.

This means that your PC is most likely NEVER going to be fully functional under Win10 because the drivers is needs for full functionality simply do not exist! 

To confirm the lack of drivers for your specific PC, I would need the detailed product number:  Finding Your HP Product Model Number | HP® Customer Support

We can proceed once you provide the information.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your response.  My computer's product number is C8N28AV.  I also don't know if this has an affect, although it might, but this computer was ordered with Windows 8 Professional downgraded to Windows 7 Professional, because my organization doesn't support Windows 8, and in parentheses there's C8M88AV.  Anything else that you need?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info ...

You're in luck -- in that HP does supply 32-bit drivers for some versions of Win7 for your PC.

This is the HP product page for your PC:  http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5387484&lang=en&cc=us

Select the OS version you are using.

Then, download and install the Graphics drivers.

Then, reboot.

IF all goes well, you should have full graphics capabilities after that.

However, I have upgraded several Win7 PCs to Win10, and with every one, some problem had to be solved -- so I wrote up this guide to help folks who are determined to do that upgrade ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to think about how much work you want to commit to just to run Win10.  Seriously. 

Older Win7 desktops tend to fare poorly when upgraded to Win10 -- primarily due to the lack of HP Win10 drivers for the older hardware.

If you are determined to upgrade to Win10, you must be prepared to do four things:
1) Make a complete image backup to external drive or large capacity USB stick,
2) Make changes to the reserved system partitioning scheme on your hard drive,
3) Use a different approach, and maybe more than one, than Windows Update to do the Upgrade,
4) Prepare for a clean-install.

1: Image Backup:  
This is VITAL because the machine is likely to fail the upgrade, and when it does, you will learn that the Win10 GoBack function is NOT reliable, and that can leave you with a corrupted machine that will require factory reset, and losing everything on it, to get it working again.

You avoid this by making an image backup to an external drive or USB stick using Macrium Reflect (MR) which provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.
2: System Reserved Resizing:  
There is a small partition on the hard drive of Win7 preinstalled machines known as System Reserved.  This holds something known as the boot loader code.  It is 100MB in size -- all that is needed for Win7.  But Win10 needs 350MB, and, in some cases, is NOT able to resize this on its own.  IF that happens, you have to manually use a partitioning tool to resize it yourself.
3: Use a different Upgrade approach:  
Windows Update is the easiest, but least reliable, way to do the Win10 Upgrade.  A much better, and more reliable way, is to use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10   Choose the Upgrade this PC now option.

After all that, you need to know that MS installs drivers with only the most basic functionality.  Since HP does not have Win10 drivers for your PC, this limited functionality is the best you're going to get.  HP is not actively writing new Win10 drivers for the old Win7 PCs.  To retain full functionality of your PC, your best move is NOT to upgrade to Win10.
4: Prepare for clean-install:
If you do all this, and after the upgrade, your PC is only partially functioning, that means that the Upgrade did not go well and stuff is still there from the prior OS corrupting the functionality of Win10.

You MIGHT be able to fix this by doing a clean-install of Win10. Problem is that a clean-install often does not recognize the prior activation, even though it should. So, BEFORE you do the upgrade, follow these instructions from the community Win10 forums about creating a genuineticket.xml file:  http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-fi...

You will need this later to activate your Win10 pc after the clean-install.

-----------------------------------------------

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

HP Recommended

It turns out the problem was ShoreTel communicator, which for whatever reason had installed the ShoreTel Desktop Sharing Accelerator, and after I removed it, the upgrade worked like a charm.  I didn't have to try everything you listed, but I would be remiss if I didn't accept your solution because I definitely would've tried it otherwise, and I really appreciciate your help trying to get me going.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.