Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 750-167c Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We just bought this PC http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04812516

We installed a gtx 750 Ti and its drivers and it worked just fine. After a few months, we then decided to upgrade to a gtx 970 so we got a CX500 power supply from Corsair.

I installed the gtx 970 and plugged in all the necessary power connectors to the card as well.

The 970's fans and LED turns on but there is no feed to the monitor.

So I switch the monitor's cable from the gtx 970 I/O to the motherboard's onboard video(realizing the motherboard isn't switching to the card's output) and check device manager.

Device Manager doesn't even detect the card.

I then reinstall the 750 Ti with its drivers and it works fine again. I uninstall the 750 Ti and its drivers then try again with the 970 and nothing.

We bought the 970 off of ebay. The seller claimed that the card had been inspected and tested to work, but I can't get it to work.

I don't know If I'm doing something wrong or if the card is dead on arrival. Please help.

Someone suggested to me to update the motherboard's bios, but I think I already have the latest bios version for the Odense motherboard. Is this motherboard designed to take on the gtx 970 or am I limited?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Make sure you have the latest bios version A0.12 ROM SSID 2B47. It is on the software download page for your pc. If you do and it still does not work. Most likely it is dead and you got scammed. It is Ebay after all. Tons of people lie on there. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Make sure you have the latest bios version A0.12 ROM SSID 2B47. It is on the software download page for your pc. If you do and it still does not work. Most likely it is dead and you got scammed. It is Ebay after all. Tons of people lie on there. 

HP Recommended

Greetings,

I concur with Fatty.

There is no logical reason why the 970 fails to provide video.

You could theoretically run a 1080 in the system.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Yep, I bought another GTX 970. This time it worked. Let's hope the ebay seller fully refunds the item and not charge me the 20% restocking fee!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.