Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion M9100T
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

My fairly fast HP Pavilion M9100T desktop with 8 gigabytes of memory is currently running Vista 64 bit and has become pretty slow especially with Internet Explorer.  I'd like to upgrade to Windows 10 using the clean install and purchased Windows 10 USB.  Problem is that I can't find an option to boot from USB.  Can you help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You motherboard's chipset does not have Windows 10 driver suport from Intel. 

You wouyld be better off looking at sourcing a replacement PC. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi

Is the BIOS the latest version for your machine?  IPIBL-LB Motherboard BIOS Update 5.43   1.7 MB   Aug 4, 2012

Because I would expect it to be an option to change the boot order in the BIOS.

HP Recommended

It is American Megatrends Bios 5.43 dated 9/10/2009.  I did another BIOS upgrade, but it stayed the same.  My boot options are:

TSSTCorp CDDVDW TS-H653N

ST 3500630AS

ASUS DVD-E616A3T

TEAC FD-05PUB

Thanks - Ed

HP Recommended

Hi

Well a bit more research gives this

Reset BIOS Version 6 or less
  1. Turn on the computer and repeatedly press one of the following keyboard keys. Press the key about once every second for 5 seconds after turning the computer on.
  2. For HP and Compaq computers that came with Windows 7 or Windows Vista, press F10 .
  3. For HP and Compaq computers that came with Windows XP, press F1 .
  4. For Compaq Presario desktop computers built prior to 2002, press F10 .
  5. Wait another 5 seconds.
  6. Press the F5 key. This restores the default settings of the BIOS.
  7. Press the Enter key. This accepts the changes.
  8. Press the F10 key. This saves the changes

On some HP models pressing and holding the Win key plus the B key during startup would trigger flash codes on the keyboard.

HP Recommended

No change.  I presume this 5.43 then must be the BIOS this machine was delivered with when i bought it.  I may just have to keep it as a Vista machine I suppose.  Seems wasteful.

It's a shame that HP charges an arm and a leg for support and I suppose a tech taking control of this machine could fix it in five minutes.

HP Recommended

Hi

Well could you transfer the OS to DVD and boot from there?

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I'll give that a try tomorrow.  I had been thinking that I'd try to return what I bought to Amazon and order the DVD version, but I'll give the copy a try.  I appreciate your help so far.

HP Recommended

Wasn't able to do the copy.  DVD did not have 6.61 Gig capacity.  I'll try purchasing Windows 10 on DVD.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

You motherboard's chipset does not have Windows 10 driver suport from Intel. 

You wouyld be better off looking at sourcing a replacement PC. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.