Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Ok. Trying to fix a friend's computer, and seem to have run into a rather strange snag. 

Problem:  The computer will not boot past the bios screen. 

Details:  When you power on the computer, the compaq logo with intel inside shows up and has the <F1 Setup> and <F10 System Recovery> options listed as well.  And this is about as far as the computer gets.  After this the whole computer is just locked up, no buttons work on the keyboard no lights come on the keyboard ect ect.  I've tried mashing on the F1 key as soon as I power on the computer and I can manage to get it to say *entering setup* but it still freezes after this point.  I've already tried eliminating possible sources of problem, all expansion cards removed, HDD and Dvd Rom disconnected, single memory module (256mb ddr 2700), only power, vga, and keyboard connected.  Ive also used the jumper on the motherboard to clear the cmos hoping that would solve the problem, to no avail.  I've tried using a different stick of memory and different memory slot as well...  Tried using both a ps2 and a usb keyboard... Ive even tried pulling out the jumper for the bios password protection (even though it didn't have a password on it, just trying anything I can think of). 

The installed bios version is 3.1, and that is about all I know about the computer at this point, other than what the website tells me of it. 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=411354&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=5&submit.x=3&lang=en&cc=us <-- link to the webpage for the model #.

I am basically at a loss on this one, so if anyone feels up to racking their brain on this one, I would greatly appreciate it.  

I've got a pretty strong knowledge of computer repair, so feel free to give me anything to try.  

If you need anymore info out of me, let me know as well. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try clearing the CMOS again but this time remove the CMOS battery and hold the power button in for a few seconds. Then replace the battery and try booting up again. 

On the back of the pc is the PSU condition led green or flashing?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Try clearing the CMOS again but this time remove the CMOS battery and hold the power button in for a few seconds. Then replace the battery and try booting up again. 

On the back of the pc is the PSU condition led green or flashing?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Holy hell, I love you man! 😄

That seems to have completely done the trick! 

Thank you very much.  

And for the record, the light was green... I already had ran a power supply tester on it, making sure that wasn't the culpret. 

Pc booted up and everything is running great.  You rock. 

HP Recommended

Hello. I have done pretty much everything that the original poster did as well as the solution that fixed his problem but I still can't get pass the Compaq Logo Screen. The Model of the computer is a Compaq SR1726NX. I even tried buying a new CR2032 CMOS battery and replaced it with the one on the mobo....still nothing.

I am assuming that the Motherboard is dead. However, the odd thing is I still get power from the mobo just fine because all the fans work just fine. I get no beeps or error codes whatsoever. I even tried using another hard drive with a working version of Windows XP Pro. Same results. I tried different compatible RAM modules besides the ones that already came with the computer, same results.

Any help is appreciated.

Message Edited by JRODTech on 02-16-2009 09:26 PM
HP Recommended

Please start your own thread and we will work on your issue.

A new BIOS battery wouldn't help. All the battery does is power the electrically eraseable memory of the CMOS chip so it will hold the settings. 

HP Recommended

I have a Compaq Presario 12XL410 laptop that worked perfectly one day then wouldn’t even turn on a week later.  No lights go on at all…it’s completely dead even when plugged into the AC Adapter.  Through trying to trouble-shoot I discovered that the main battery is dead.  I pulled it out and tried to start up the laptop using only the AC adapter thinking that maybe the dead battery was preventing the laptop from starting up, but it still wouldn’t start.  When the AC adapter is plugged into the wall, the indicator light is bright green, but as soon as I plug the other end into the laptop, the indicator light goes dim.  Someone suggested that the CMOS battery might be dead too, but would a dead CMOS really prevent the laptop from starting up?  I’ve also had suggestions that maybe something is wrong with the motherboard or hard-drive.  Any suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

HP Recommended
just did the battery trick on my a6157c and it worked like a charm. Thank you.
HP Recommended

Help!  This looks like great advice, but I can't pop the battery.  It's way at the bottom of my chassis and maybe I'm not dextrous enough, but even though I have small hands, there is no edge to grab on to.  I can depress the clip with a fingernail but then can't move the battery.  Shouldn't this be easy to do?

HP Recommended

@jeanpanos wrote:

Help!  This looks like great advice, but I can't pop the battery.  It's way at the bottom of my chassis and maybe I'm not dextrous enough, but even though I have small hands, there is no edge to grab on to.  I can depress the clip with a fingernail but then can't move the battery.  Shouldn't this be easy to do?

Hi,

The answer to that is "No, it shouldn't be easy". 😉  The reason is that it is something normally done by technicians or enthusiasts and not the casual PC owner.  

The following procedure must be done with the power cord disconnected from the rear of your PC.

You will need to use a fingernail to push the metal clip in. With your other hand use a thin but strong plastic (or metal) implement (epoxy stirrer or jewelers screwdriver) to slide underneath the edge between the battery and the battery holder. It should then pop right on out.  Do it very carefully so you won't break anything on the motherboard. 

regards,
erico

HP Recommended

HI IM MARCELUSS FROM UPINGTON I NEED ASISSTANCE ON A COMPAQ LAPTOP IT DOES'NT WANNA BOOT SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.