Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750-414
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Today, I replaced the existing 300w power supply in my HP Envy 750-414 machine with a 600w power supply. I then installed a GeForce GTX 660 TI graphics card.

After installation, I connected the monitor HDMI cable to the graphics card, and reconnected all other cables. I then tried to power up the PC. All it does is continuously make 3 long beeps followed by 3 short beeps. No display. PC will not start.

I know the graphics card and power supply work; I used them in a previous machine.

I then plugged the HDMI cable back into the original motherboard slot, and the PC started up with no issues.

I then searched the HP forums for similar problems, and in an earlier post from another user, an HP expert had recommended updating the bios. So, I downloaded and installed the BIOS update from the HP website for my machine.

After installing the BIOS update, my computer turned itself off. Now when I try to turn it on, every time, it makes 3 long beeps followed by 3 short beeps. The PC will not start at all. I tried plugging the HDMI cable back into the Graphics card, but same thing. The computer just beeps continuously, 3 long and then 3 short, over and over again.

Please help!

***Update

I removed the graphics card from the machine, took out the 600w power supply and put the original 300w power supply back in place, and then tried powering it up again after reconnecting all cables.

It works now. No issues what-so-ever.

So now I have a dilemma. Does that mean the graphics card is incompatible with my machine? Or does it mean the graphics card is dead? I was careful to use an antistatic wristband (the kind with the alligator clip) when handling the graphics card etc.

The only other possibility that I can think of, is that the motherboard only has one PCI express slot for the graphics card, and it is placed awkwardly. When the graphics card is locked in place, it is right over the  motherboard's heatsink. Could that have caused the PC to freak out and beep at me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

Error code of 3.3 means the embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from graphics initialization.

Here is HP document with this detail for you. Look at error codes for HP PC made after April 2015.

I think power supply is good and graphics card may be good. Some other event as upgrade BIOS or secure boot may be muddy issue.

Try again. Much patience pays rewards! Card is legacy but should work. 

Maybe try disable secure boot, enable leagcy boot in Security in BIOS. New HP PC's have hardware key for graphics card with Secure boot enabled. This could be problem.

Grzy

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Squintik, welcome to the forum.

I have reviewed the specs of the computer and the video card and can't see any reason why the card won't work.  I suggest that you contact the manufacturer's Tech Support to see what they have to say.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hello

Error code of 3.3 means the embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from graphics initialization.

Here is HP document with this detail for you. Look at error codes for HP PC made after April 2015.

I think power supply is good and graphics card may be good. Some other event as upgrade BIOS or secure boot may be muddy issue.

Try again. Much patience pays rewards! Card is legacy but should work. 

Maybe try disable secure boot, enable leagcy boot in Security in BIOS. New HP PC's have hardware key for graphics card with Secure boot enabled. This could be problem.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi,

Is there a power cord which goes to the graphics card from power supply? In Bios is the pcie graphics enabled, it should be automatic.

What brand of power supply are you using? Sometimes even if the wattage is sufficient, the power on each channel is not distributed in such a way to provide the necessary energy to the video card.

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

Ok, I tried disabling Secure Boot and enabling Legacy Boot, and that solved the problem.

After reinstalling the 600w power supply and graphics card, my computer is working now. Thank you for your help!

As a side note, it unfortunately didn't take care of my original reason for installing the graphics card, but that's another issue. A recent windows update to the Intel graphics driver for Intel HD graphics 530 has screwed up one of my applications. Now whenever I try to run that application, I get an error message saying "Can't find the name of Intel ICD OpenGL driver". I've tried rolling back the Intel graphics driver, but that didn't work, I still get the same error message.

I had thought that, since I also have an HP Pavillion PC that also has the GeForce GTX 660 TI installed and doesn't experience that problem, maybe installing an identical graphics card in my HP Envy PC would solve the issue. Unfortunately it didn't.

The only other possibility right now (that I can think of) is that when I installed the graphics card in my HP Pavillion, I'm certain I had disabled the integrated graphics. On the Pavillion's Device Manager, the only display adaptor listed is that of the GTX 660 TI graphics card. On the HP Envy though, the Device Manager shows that the GTX 660 TI graphics card and the integrated Intel HD Graphics 530 are both enabled. Perhaps that's why I'm still getting the error message on the HP Envy PC, because the integrated graphics are still working.  Should I risk disabling the onboard graphics?  And if I do, and it fails to solve the problem, is it easy to re-enable the onboard graphics?

HP Recommended

Hello

You are welcome.

I would uninstall Intel graphics driver in Device Manager if you intend to use Nvidia graphics card.

Have you reinstalled the app that is looking for Intel driver?

I installed Nvidia card on system with Intel onboard graphics. Uninstalled the Intel driver before install new card and have had no conflicts.

Grzy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.