Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

You're very welcome. I enjoy helping folks squeeze the most performance they can out of their older HP business desktops.

This memory will work fine...

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=dc7600%20Series%20Small%20Form%20Factor&Cat=RAM

I don't know how you have your memory configured, but if you have 2 x 1 GB, at least get 2 x 512 MB, and go to 3 GB so it runs in DDR mode.

The d530. I have upgraded several.  You need to install a P4 3.2/800/512 SL6WG sSpec processor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A6...

Will boost the peformance significantly if you have the standard 2.66/533/512 processor most of the d530's came with.

For less than 6 quid, I don't see how you can go wrong.

Get a used ATI Radeon 9600 128 MB AGP video card for it and you can run W7 on that rig too.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

Graphics card arrived today, the (x1300), however I am having problems with the computer detecting my graphics card. There are no exclamations or anything in the device manager to tell me I have an unknown device or anything.

Could you help me on this, because I have hit a brick wall, I also downloaded the driver of the HP website, and it said successfully installed, but no sign of the graphics card.

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi:

So, are you saying that when you installed the x1300 and plugged your monitor to it, you get nothing?

Or, you plugged the monitor to the x1300 and you get VGA quality video, but your card isn't even showing up in the device manager?

Scenario 1 (no video) is one of 3 things:

1. Dead video card.

2. Disabled PCIe slot on the motherboard.

3. Dead PCIe slot on the motherboard.

Action: See if clearing the CMOS fixes the problem.

Scenario 2: Video card works but card not seen in Windows.

Action:  See if clearing the CMOS fixes the problem.

Please refer to the troubleshooting guide for info on how to clear the CMOS

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00368814/c00368814.pdf

Paul

HP Recommended

I have attached the new card, but the problem is that I think it is still using the intergrated graphics from the motherboard. Which is what I dont want. All I have done is literally attached the graphics card into the pcie slot, and started the computer. I installed the driver for it but there is no hardware changes.

HP Recommended

I did a CMOS reset but there were no changes, basically I went into the BIOS and restored the defaults. But, I still havent managed to detect that card.

HP Recommended

Furthermore, there is also heat bring produced from the graphics card, a reasonable amount of it. Could this be the heat from the motherboard, or is the graphics card doing something. Well the heatsink is warmer then the other places. 

For a new test, I disabled the onboard graphics, because I thought that it may be conflicting with the new graphics card. But, still no change.

And I do not know how to enable the PCIe if it isn't with this BIOS.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi:

I was thinking there might be in the device security a setting to enable PCI/PCIe slots. I don't remember.

What I can tell you for a fact is that all you need to do is to plug in the PCIe video card, hook the monitor cable to it, boot up the PC and you should have VGA graphics until you install the card.

Switching from onboard to add on video is automatic. No settings to change in the BIOS.

The fact that your BIOS is set to the defaults indicates a bad/defective video card as a 95% chance, and 5% chance of anything else being the issue.

BTW, how did you disable the O/B graphics?  There is no setting in the BIOS to do that.

Paul

HP Recommended

Yes I have disabled that, I do not have a Vga slot on the graphics card, it has an s-video and an DVI port, I connect my monitor to the VGA port which was on the PC before. There is not VGA port on the Graphics card. So, is this where I am going wrong, Do I have to connect via DVI then?

HP Recommended

Yes, it sounds like it. 

You either need a DVI to VGA adapter or  DVI - DVI cable.

When you install an add-on video card, it is supposed to disable the onboard graphics adapter and if you were to connect a monitor to the onboard VGA connector it shouldn't be working.

The only thing that should produce video is the new card and like I wrote above you need a cable with DVI at both ends to connect to your graphics card DVI port and monitor's DVI port, or a DVI to VGA adapter that you connect the monitors VGA  connector to the adapter's VGA connector and the other side of the adapter is DVI and goes to the new video card.

Like this one...

Paul

HP Recommended

Free IPAD, I got mine today - http://apple.freebiejeebies.co.uk/778064

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.