Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You have a great weekend.

HP Recommended

Greetings, Paul! and others interested in HP's dc7600!  I haven't logged on in a while, but received numerous emails from the "HP Community Mailer" of renewed activity concerning (the discussion thread) "DC7600 CPU Upgrade".  It appears to have 'evolved' into a discussion questioning why HP (even) released the "ultraslim" version of the dc7600 series!  and it having only 3 memory slots available!?!  HP 'insisted' that the dc7600 was capable of supporting a "dual core" processor; and the placing of the memory was 'critical' in 'exploiting' the performance opportunities the Intel Pentium D had to offer!  They even went to the extent of  'color coding' the 4 memory slots to ensure each of it's '2 channels' were populated with identical memory!.  Going back to the dc5100 model's that supported memory (DDR-2) in a Dual Channel Mode; but had not yet supported Dual Channel Processors!  I'm reading from a page I copied from HP (376293-002.book Page 5 Friday, February 18, 2005 3:02 PM)  -  that's the best link I can provide to the HP Document.  The pages I extracted and printed were instructions provided for the dc5100 for "Installing Additional Memory" under "Hardware Upgrades". 

I still recall "cringing" at HP's release of the dc7600 "Ultra-Slim" model with only 3 memory slots!  The "Rules" applied to this Model as well as to the "others"!  There were 2-channels.  Only with this model, a customer was instructed to populate each of the two channels first with matching memory.  Memory slots 1 (XMM1) and 3 (XMM3)  were to be populated with the same memory chips. and if additional memory were to be added, then it should be put in the 1 remaining slot; XMM4 which was adjacent to XMM3.  XMM2 was gone - it would have been adjacent to the XMM1 slot and would have served to balance the two channels.  These rules weren't new!  When Memory appeared as "DDR", HP instructed consumers to populate each memory slot from left to right, but, encouraged the buyer that to fully utilize the "DDR", you should put matching memory sticks into the first 2 slots (from left to right).  If you wanted to add more memory but didn't have the money to buy 2 more memory sticks; then you should add the one additional memory stick to slot #3 (counting from the left).  It still doesn't make any sense to me, today; BUT those were the way things were; THEN!!  Kind Regards, wfejnieh2

HP Recommended

I've got a SFF DC7600.  When I got it, I upgraded to 4GB of RAM.  I was using a Radeon 43xx PCIe video, but that gotten too slow.  I updated to a SSD and am planning on removing the DVD-RW and go to an external USB chassis to keep power requirements to a minimum.  In the last two weeks, I upgraded to a Nvidia GT630 low profile PCI-E video card, and added a Intel 945 D (SL2QQ) cpu.  Win 7 reports it as dual core, but the system at boot time is saying the microcode needs an update.  Other than that I'm pretty happy with the $70 I spent on the upgrades ($60 for the video card) this month.

I see two bioses, but there are some odd information:

Version: 2.04 Rev. A (13 Apr 2007)

Version: 1.61 Rev. A (8 Jul 2009)

Both show the same system type 786D1 bios, but it's odd that the later revision has an earlier date string.  Ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi:

You cannot use the windows based flash to update the BIOS since you are running W7.

If you flash the BIOS using the Windows based flash when running windows 7, the results = dead PC.

So, if you want to flash the BIOS you need to read the instructions to flash in DOS by using the flash drive method or the bootable CD method.

As far as the differences...the one flash (v 2.04) is only needed if you installed W7 Ultimate which has Bitlocker functionality.

You should be able to get rid of the microcode error by running the Microcode update at the link below.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=0&...

You will need to learn how to make a USB flash drive bootable to install the microcode update.

Here's a link with the files to help you do that.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47812

Then just copy the contents of the microcode update folder to the flash drive after you made it bootable and copied the DOS command files to it.

When you boot from the flash drive and get to the prompt, you just type in Flashbin.exe & hit the enter key.

Follow the onscreen instructions to update the microcode.

If installing the latest microcode update fails to remove the error, then flash the BIOS using either DOS based flash method.

I would use v1.61 if you have installed W7 Home Premium or Professional.

The instructions to make a dos based bootable usb flash drive or bootable CD will appear after you download and run the BIOS file.

Just don't use the windows based flash.

HP Recommended

Paul, I'm running Win XP Pro; D945 Processors and 4-gigs of memory in each of my dc7600 CMT's and have "stuck" with  the 'microcode' BIOS update v. 01.61 on both. I had read; be cautious updating the BIOS, and only update if you know what the new 'BIOS' fixes, or what 'enhancements' it offers that I need!  With HP (retired) Business Machines it seems they offer two types of BIOS updates:  1) updates like v01.61 that supports the machine's hardware, and 2) updates that seem to support the 'Business' or 'management' softwarethat is distinct and seperate from the hardware support.  I've learned, and been advised to closely examine what the BIOS update offers!  If the 'enhancement' doesn't apply to the configuration you're using the machine for; simply, Don't Install It Because of the "date" attached to it and the tendency for enthusiasts to want "the latest version!".  Read Carefully before applying BIOS updates and ask yourself the question, "...do I really need this?".  If the answer is, "NO!"; then don't update.  In the fine print on many BIOS updates reads, "..... after applying this update, you can no longer revert to an earlier BIOS"!    Kind Regards!  Jeff

HP Recommended

Thanks for the links.  Did the quick format of the old flash drive I had, used the me boot and copied the flash.  No more errors.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Hi everybody!

I have a DC7600CMT upgraded to a D945, this forum helped me before doing this, thank you!. Im very happy with the performance improvement,  i get the D945 at ebay for ony 10€! very cheap for the value.

Ok, now i am going to put in DC7600 a 9600GT videocard but im not sure if the stock power supply will  support it... ¿anybody can help me?.

Excuse me, I speak broken English

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't think it will work because it requires a supplemental power connector which the dc7600 doesn't have.

You would have to buy one of those adapters to convert any spare molex connectors to the PCIe power connector.

The card also recommends a 400W P/S. That might be OK--close enough to the 365W P/S.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-9600-gt/specifications

My other concern is that the PCIe x16 slot in your PC is only rated for a 75W output.

The card you are interested in, cranks out as much as 96W under maximum load.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the info Paul. Youre the guru of DC7600 machines ;).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.