Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq 500B (VS695UT)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had previously upgraded my COMPAQ 500B Desktop from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 (Free, from Microsoft) and have enjoyed it very much.  I sometimes watch DVD movies on the computer.  Recently, the DVD drive (HP DVD drive, model TS-H653) disappeared from my list of available drives.  I first thought the drive had died, and replaced it with a new SATA DVD drive. (I kept the original drive) Needless to say, the new drive is not seen either.  I checked all my cable connections with no change. I researched H-P's driver download page with no luck.  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

NEVER MIND.  The problem has been resolved.  It was a two-fold problem.  

The  original drive went bad, and the SATA3 port on the mother board stopped working.  

I originally plugged in a new DVD drive with no change in symptoms (it appeared dead).  

I reasoned that this was a new DVD drive, so I plugged it into another SATA port on my mother board, and the computer recognized it immediately.  

So, I placed the original DVD drive back in the computer, packaged up the replacement DVD drive, buttoned up my computer and got back to work, only to find the computer no longer recognized the DVD drive again.  

I knew I had just seen it working, so I had to shut down the computer and replace the original DVD drive (AGAIN).  This time; I left the case open until I confirmed that the new drive worked, and the original SATA3 port on the motherboard was actually dead.

End result is a bad DVD drive, and a bad SATA3 port on the motherboard.

Thank you for reading my flustering activities.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

NEVER MIND.  The problem has been resolved.  It was a two-fold problem.  

The  original drive went bad, and the SATA3 port on the mother board stopped working.  

I originally plugged in a new DVD drive with no change in symptoms (it appeared dead).  

I reasoned that this was a new DVD drive, so I plugged it into another SATA port on my mother board, and the computer recognized it immediately.  

So, I placed the original DVD drive back in the computer, packaged up the replacement DVD drive, buttoned up my computer and got back to work, only to find the computer no longer recognized the DVD drive again.  

I knew I had just seen it working, so I had to shut down the computer and replace the original DVD drive (AGAIN).  This time; I left the case open until I confirmed that the new drive worked, and the original SATA3 port on the motherboard was actually dead.

End result is a bad DVD drive, and a bad SATA3 port on the motherboard.

Thank you for reading my flustering activities.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.